Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley MK3 Dating?

Webley MK3 Dating?

Hi folks, this is one for the Webley enthusiasts. I need to date 2 mk3's, both in .22 flavour. The first serial no. is A6935 The second 28184. Anybody got any ideas? Date of manuf and approx value info would be much appreciated, the first is in good condition and the second is i would consider average. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scratch View Post
    Hi folks, this is one for the Webley enthusiasts. I need to date 2 mk3's, both in .22 flavour. The first serial no. is A6935 The second 28184. Anybody got any ideas? Date of manuf and approx value info would be much appreciated, the first is in good condition and the second is i would consider average. Thank you.
    Hello,

The Chris Thrale Webley Air Rifle 'Bible' identifies Webley Mk3 Ser No 28184 as an early Series 4 example introduced in 1957 and available up until 1961. The lowest Series 4 seen Ser No being 28072 and the highest 39352. This would consequently date your earlier Mk3 to 1957.

Dating the A Series rifles is not so easy as for some reason Webley used the A prefix twice with the first batch starting in June 1966 with Ser No A0060 and ending in Nov 1969 with Ser No A9999. The second batch carrying the A prefix started in Nov 1969 beginning at A1 and going up to Ser No A10000 in 1972. If your rifle was part of the second batch then it would date to September 1971.

Accurately estimating values is difficult without some pictures as condition is everything. Ballpark prices for Mk3s would be in the region of £120-£350 and maybe a bit more depending on condition and Production Series.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Brian

mk3's

Thank you Brian, you are a true gentleman!

Mklll dating

Just to add to Abasmajor's details. Interestingly the bible would seem to confirm that your rifle (series 7) was manufactured week ending 18/09/'71 . The first "A" prefix batch 6930 to 39 are noted in the factory ledger as "super" so were Supertarget models week ending 18/10/'68. I'm sitting here hoping yours is the Supertarget

Also interesting your other Mk lll could be series 4 if the serial number is impressed into the stock under the action. This practice stopped at 32000 around 1959.
    The series 5 appeared 1961 with the dumbbell shape 'scope rail. Rarer versions had the 'scope rail "waisted" on one flank only and are a collectable quirk for some.

Whichever they are enjoy. Loves 'em. Jules

Can I ask what year my 12180 would be?
    Thanks.

Serial 13389 pinged as 1952, So yours '50/'51 at a guess. Series 3 ribbed stock plain trigger block ?? Cost about £14 inc. tax
    Has it got double pull trigger 'cos it changed around then?
    Last edited by deejayuu; 21-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.

mk3's

Hi Jules, the older one has the s/n inside the stock as mentioned but nowhere on the other does it state supertarget, is there any other way of telling? These rifles and many more were owned by a dear shooting buddy who passed away recently and his family have asked me to research and sell them so i am very grateful for any info offered. Thanks again, atb Tony

Thanks Dee.
    Has double pull trigger.

Well I'm glad I took the time to read your post - I thought you were planning to ask one out.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Well I'm glad I took the time to read your post - I thought you were planning to ask one out.
    I've been tempted by far worse

Tony, if it was a Supertarget You'd know. Honest. Check you PM
    PS an early Mk lll made £470 plus costs on Holt's Auction this week. A bit special methinks.

mk3

Just noticed the second serial number on the 'underbody' of the barrel A6935 has a Z above it. Anybody know it's significance? Regards

webley mk III dating

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Just to add to Abasmajor's details. Interestingly the bible would seem to confirm that your rifle (series 7) was manufactured week ending 18/09/'71 . The first "A" prefix batch 6930 to 39 are noted in the factory ledger as "super" so were Supertarget models week ending 18/10/'68. I'm sitting here hoping yours is the Supertarget

Also interesting your other Mk lll could be series 4 if the serial number is impressed into the stock under the action. This practice stopped at 32000 around 1959.
    The series 5 appeared 1961 with the dumbbell shape 'scope rail. Rarer versions had the 'scope rail "waisted" on one flank only and are a collectable quirk for some.

Whichever they are enjoy. Loves 'em. Jules
    Hi I'm brand new to airgunbbs have had air rifles all my life now at 63 still tinkering and plinking , I noticed this thread and wondered if you might be able to help me date my mk3 the serial number is 0139 its the smooth stock type with no scope rail . regards and thankyou in advance .

Pics would be interesting but Thrale's descriptions say early Series 1 so 1947/8 and very tasty to the collectors.
    PM for more info. if it helps.

If it is a smooth stock, there's probably a prefix missing: A, B of F maybe? Otherwise stock could be a replacement. pic would be helpfull