Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hy-Score Sporter - UK model

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi David,

If you are able, I'd love to see photos of the holster at some stage.

All the very best,
    John
    I'll post more when I learn how John but in the meantime Garvin is kindly going to put up some pics I sent him and one of those includes the holster.

Pics of David's Hy-Score

Here are the pics:

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by magicesperanto View Post
    What sort of power do they give?
    Of the two pistols that I tested for the published review, using 10 different types of pellet in .177 and 10 in .22:

From the first the average over 50 shots varied from 2.68 ftlbs with Prometheus pellets to 3.59 with RWS superpoint in .177 and from 1.69 with Beeman Silver Jet to 3.62 with BSA Pylarm in .22

The second pistol produced from 1.81Ftlbs with Prometheus to 2.45 with RWS Superpoint in .177 and from 1.65 with Silver Jet to 2.59 with BSA Pylarm in .22

None of the pistols I tested came close to the figures published by Pheonix and when I returned them the factory confirmed my results, though they said they were surprised as power over the legal limit had originally been a problem. I got the impression that whatever they had done was perhaps both overdone and not entirely consistent because their own tests after power reduction hadn't shown such a drastic fall.

I supppose it shows the potential for power is certainly there, but unfortunately power didn't necessarily match with accuracy.

Pistol 1 in .177 varied from 5mm at 6 yards with Webley special (3.53ftlbs - second highest) to 15mm with Superpoint, the most powerful.
    In .22 it gave 12mm (2.58 ftlbs approx midway) with Eley Wasp to 20mm with the Pylarm (the most powerful)

I couldn't test the second pistol for accuracy because shortly after I started to shoot it the rear sight began to wander to the left and eventually fell off altogether. Replacing it reproduced the problem. Pheonix evetually identified the issue as a fault with hardness of the pneumatic tube used for the body, which had been selected for tensile strength with too wide a spec for hardness, which in turn affected the grip of the lips of the sight groove on the sight base. Later models were produced by machining the body tubes from solid.

Thanks Garvin

hi david . i cant be certain what one it was i saw in the shop . just remember it on the wall board next to the hw45 and the prices were £75 for the hyscore and £176 for the hw45 . still had the hw45 up until 2004 when i gave it away

i remember reading articles in swat about the calico pistols http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/image.../calico950.jpg and a competition where you bought a bayonet and modified it to make a survival knife

LOL I vaguely remember that project. I'll have to get the mags out of the attic to look it out. I think my younger brother had the knife after I'd done all the work on it.

None of the pistols I tested came close to the figures published by Pheonix and when I returned them the factory confirmed my results, though they said they were surprised as power over the legal limit had originally been a problem. I got the impression that whatever they had done was perhaps both overdone and not entirely consistent because their own tests after power reduction hadn't shown such a drastic fall
    Hmm. Nice though concentrics are, and compact as they are, I always thought they weren't that efficient. If they got power over or even approaching the legal limit out of a hyscore I take my hat off to them. I'd certainly be surprised if they were more powerful than even a Tempest.

Still, back in the early 90s we were all power mad

That is a very nice pistol btw.

Thank you all, I've enjoyed both this discussion and looking up additional information about the various models of Hy-Score.

I've done some web searches with quite widely varying results so I'll ask a straight question and if I decide to sell this set I'll put an advert in the relevant sales area.

I will include the holster but unfortunately it isn't in truly 'collectable' condition. The leather is very thin and the male part of the press-stud for the retention strap pulled out the first time I undid the strap. Not contemplating that anyone would ever want to collect such a thing, I replaced it with a piece of black nylon strapping and Velcro fastenings and then used it for range work with a full-bore semi-auto for a while.

So, what do you think a reasonable value would be, in the UK (I can't be bothered with all the export issues), for this pistol set and all the related paperwork?

Pics of the Hy-Score holster.

Pic 1

Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you again, Garvin. I will figure out a Flikr account or whatever, but until I do, much appreciated!

I hope that's of interest, John. As I've said in another post, the holster came with a leather strap/press-stud fastening, but the leather is rather thin and the male part of the press-stud pulled out the first time I unfastened it so, not ever thinking about this becoming a collector item only a user, I replaced it with the nylon strap and velcro. Bit embarassing now but, who knew?

So, what do you think a reasonable value would be, in the UK (I can't be bothered with all the export issues), for this pistol set and all the related paperwork?
    My thinking is, the pistol, box etc would be not worth selling for less than say £100-110. The holster and the paperwork do make it more interesting, and you never know, someone might be very interested. If you start too high you can reduce, start too low and you are stuffed. Personally I'd punt it out at say £150 for a few days to test the market.

After all, as I tell myself when one of mine doesn't sell, they don't eat

I hope that's not far out and anyway its an honest view which others will no doubt shoot down if they disagree.

Thank you, Jerry.

The cased pistols similar to this one sold for £95 new in 1990 and £150 seems to be about the middle of the range suggested in various posts for one now, though the pistols offered are of various styles and differing condition and the prices obviously reflect that. I'll see what anyone else suggests and if I can get any more information from the 'net and then put it up in a proper sales thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    LOL I vaguely remember that project. I'll have to get the mags out of the attic to look it out. I think my younger brother had the knife after I'd done all the work on it.
    the place they told you where to get the bayonets from had sold out when i tried to get one ended up with one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9YfAwCc38 the schrade m7s . just sold it not long back

Thanks for the additional pics David. Agreed at the time a working repair to the holster would have been considered as practical. Considering the completeness of your set and the provenance you have, I would ask £250 as a minimum if it were mine. These pistols were not made for long and are attractive, without a doubt. They are starting to become desirable and who knows, in the future, may well become even more so.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I have really enjoyed this thread.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks for the additional pics David. Agreed at the time a working repair to the holster would have been considered as practical. Considering the completeness of your set and the provenance you have, I would ask £250 as a minimum if it were mine. These pistols were not made for long and are attractive, without a doubt. They are starting to become desirable and who knows, in the future, may well become even more so.

Thank you for sharing it with us. I have really enjoyed this thread.

John
    Hi David,
    I have been doing some research recently on the Hi-Score pistols and the UK cased versions are quite rare now, yours is the first I've seen complete with a holster. I agree with John a minimum price of £250 probably more, I've seen single pistols without the extra barrel going for well over £100 and the cardboard boxed sets £200 upwards depending on condition and yours is the first I've come across with a Weihrauch type rear sight, the later Phoenix type is not the best I've used and in my opinion not as good as the original American version...
    Thanks for posting an interesting thread...Dave...