Thread: Light weight small hunting scope.

Light weight small hunting scope.

I have been thinking of putting a little simmons wtc on my latest hunting rig but I dont know how heavy they are? and should I worry about their low light ability? anyone rate these scopes or are there better scopes for about the same money and same weight?

Quote Originally Posted by engraver View Post
    I have been thinking of putting a little simmons wtc on my latest hunting rig but I dont know how heavy they are? and should I worry about their low light ability? anyone rate these scopes or are there better scopes for about the same money and same weight?
    The little Simmons WTC is fantastic as is the whole of the WTC range. I'm assuming by 'ittle' you mean the 1.5-5x20? That one certainly is light AND lets in lots of light. All of the old WTC range are excellent mechanically and optically provided only that you don't want a ret other than crosshair!!
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Yes it was the 1.5-5x20 I was thinking about thanks Rapidnick, Ive got an Aetec 3.8-12x44 on at the moment but the rig is a bit heavier than what I wanted which is a shame as the optics are superb.

Maybe Ill zero it and remove it with mounts so it can be swapped for different jobs.

Little wtc are great mate very light i have one on my lighthunter

WTC 1.5-5x20 including Sportsmatch low mounts weighs 13.6 oz., or .386 Kg. According to Sportsmatch, the mounts weigh 78g, which would make the scope .308 Kg, or 10.84 oz, if that's any help.

I'll add that my favourite small scope is the Nikon Prostaff 2-7x32mm. It's 1.35 ozs heavier than the WTC (12.19ozs, or .345 Kg), but has excellent optics. It needs the objective focusing for parallax purposes at airgun ranges, but that was an easy job on mine.
    Last edited by BTDT; 11-04-2012 at 11:23 AM.

If you have a low-light requirement the WTC 3-9x40 doesn't weigh much more at all and if you wind the mag down to 5x will outperform the 1.5-5x20 by a long way at dusk or in barns etc.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Thanks guys leaves me lots to think about.

It seems it converts to 0.8 ibs I wonder if you could get away with just using one double strap mount with the little simmons?

The latest Nikon Pro Staffs are even brighter than the old ones -

For a lightweight scope the 2-7x32 Nikon won't be beaten unless you can pick up a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x

The Nikons also have 80 MOA adjustments - so will line up with anything, in pretty much any mounts -

The little Simmons were very good, at the time, now in a different class to Pro Staff if looking at a new purchase, the new KING of compact scopes -

Quote Originally Posted by engraver View Post
    Thanks guys leaves me lots to think about.

It seems it converts to 0.8 ibs I wonder if you could get away with just using one double strap mount with the little simmons?
    Just use two single straps, not a single double - defo fine on pcp, and if you keep an eye on it I'd guess springer friendly on a 22

There's also the Tasco World class 1.75-5x20, superb scope.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Consider the WTC 4x40 WA. (if you can find one) Brilliant wide "Disc" and bright too !
    OK, low on mag but the above make up for it.

brider.
    “An airgun or two”………

Ihave 4 of the little 1-5x20 scopes, great little quality scpope.

How much lighter weight are they compared to the wtc 4x40?