Thread: How to finish a HW95 stock?

How to finish a HW95 stock?

Recently bought a spare stock to allow me to refinish the tired original. It's nothing special just a standard beech stock that has some checkering to the pistol grips. The used one I bought is plain ie no checkering but will make a usefull spare.

Anyway back to the original which I have spent most of the weekend stripping, I am pleased with the results so far it's stripped and sanded and I have ironed out 2 small dents. I will continue to sand with progressively finer paper then fine wire wool.

Now for the advice, I am looking to finish it to as near as a standard Weihrauch finish as possible, what do people suggest I use process/products? Any advice,opinions and links will be appreciated.

hey if your after checkering tools google midway uk not cheap but bought myself a set and very happy with results so far

ATB

Thanks Peter I will look into checkering when I have finished this stock and make a start on the spare which is currently on the gun as the spare is without any checkering at all

Complete stock finishing kit here?-

http://www.uttings.co.uk/Product/655...kit-bctosfkit/
    Weihrauch B&C HW95K, B&C HW35K, BAM B26-2 venoman custom, QB78 DL custom.
    You ain't so big, you jus' tall, tha's all.
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Harry is offline World Recoiling Champion 2014

Thanks for the pics Harry.

Stock is sanded but i am not completely happy with the finish. Their appears to be some residue of the original stain that has penetrated into the wood. I dont want to sand very much more so i think i need to chemically clean the wood and i am thinking about bleaching it or using a solvent such a white spirit/turps does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Beech, many have tried and many have failed.

I have one i need to sand down but judging buy the amount of people i have seen do it and its not come out too well i dont think i will bother.

gents

get as much of the stain out the end grain as you can, then either get some tinted lacque (from guitar renovation shops) or get some Gell stain. Gell stain does not penetrate like normal stain so you do not get the dark patches like you do with normal stains including water based ones.

once 2 or 3 coats of gell stain is on the stock oil as normal to seal it all...

Gell stain is not cheap, but its easy to split off into little bottles you can get off the bay so split the cost with your mates and you will all have enough to do 20stocks each.

I have antique walnut here and cherry, the walnut is not dark enough so Im going to get something darker when i next order, the cherry is good for adding the red tinge the older stocks have

I'm pretty sure someone on the bbs not long ago concocted or found an aerosol that was as near as damnit to the original finish. Iirc it is just coloured laquer they used.