Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripley Elite XL9 FAC

Ripley Elite XL9 FAC

I swapped a rim fire rifle for the above, back in the begining of August, unfortunately I had some problems with it and it had to be stripped down and chewed up pellets removed from the mechanism, consequently I have not had use of it untill this morning, it is the 50ftlb version in .22, dressed in a thumbhole stock, I believe to be a CS800, but I may be wrong, it is a beautiful looking rifle but very long though very pointable and the bolt is very heavy to cock as you would expect pulling 50lb back, I zeroed at 25yds and at x7mag I was only down one and a half mil dots for 80yds using Bis mags, I expected a bigger loop of trajectory, but I am obviously impressed and very pleased with my findings so far.
    In my collection of air rifles I have HW100K/HW97K/AA400C and now the Ripley, it stands next to these but the quality is so much better it inspires confidence, my other rifles are sub 12lb and of good quality but I feel I have a new favourite, the Ripper just has something special about it.
    The Ripley only gives 22 full power shots after filling to 300bar, but I have never seen 22 rabbits in one outing on my permission so, ample shots for now.
    Have a go with one, they are nice.
    ATB
    Mick
    HW100KT .177cal, FWB300s .177cal,Steve Pope lazaglide tuned resetable safety
    HW97K .22cal, Brocock contour .177cal.
    FAC Valmet lion .22RF Target Rifle.

allways wanted one in fac. they do look the cream of the crop of air rifles.

maybe one day

I only aquired this by off chance, I had a Sako Finfire .22 RF it was a cracking rifle but I could not get land to shoot it over so I put it on here for a swap, and this came up, to be honest I was expecting one of the more common FAC air rifles and was supprised when this was offered.
    HW100KT .177cal, FWB300s .177cal,Steve Pope lazaglide tuned resetable safety
    HW97K .22cal, Brocock contour .177cal.
    FAC Valmet lion .22RF Target Rifle.

lucky man.

But Im not sure you have an elite it sounds like a proper ripley that mate.

The elite was the hogun gun I had one and it was a bit crap, single shot jobby.

why bother zeroing at 25yds with a 50ft pounder, why not zero at 60-70yds? And if you use lighter pellets than Bis mags (sure you'll loose a few ft/lbs) you'll be surprised how even flatter it'll be and out further too
    And then an ice hockey game broke out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0woZ...layer_embedded
    son got MOM in world championships: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoCcYwNJxv4

Best fac rifle i have ever owned , regret selling mine at 50m target shooting nothing compared it was the 9 shot mag what let it down.
    ..cz premium .22lr... anschutz 54 .22lr... ...anschutz 1415.22lr

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmick View Post
    I swapped a rim fire rifle for the above, back in the begining of August, unfortunately I had some problems with it and it had to be stripped down and chewed up pellets removed from the mechanism, consequently I have not had use of it untill this morning, it is the 50ftlb version in .22, dressed in a thumbhole stock, I believe to be a CS800, but I may be wrong, it is a beautiful looking rifle but very long though very pointable and the bolt is very heavy to cock as you would expect pulling 50lb back, I zeroed at 25yds and at x7mag I was only down one and a half mil dots for 80yds using Bis mags, I expected a bigger loop of trajectory, but I am obviously impressed and very pleased with my findings so far.
    In my collection of air rifles I have HW100K/HW97K/AA400C and now the Ripley, it stands next to these but the quality is so much better it inspires confidence, my other rifles are sub 12lb and of good quality but I feel I have a new favourite, the Ripper just has something special about it.
    The Ripley only gives 22 full power shots after filling to 300bar, but I have never seen 22 rabbits in one outing on my permission so, ample shots for now.
    Have a go with one, they are nice.
    ATB
    Mick
    Not really seeing your figures mate 40ft/lbs with bis mags is 925 fps approx (don't have chairgun out here)

50ft/lbs with Bis mags should be transonic, how is your accuracy?

I loved my Ripper - the crap mag system lets it down
    Last edited by Gary C; 05-12-2011 at 10:52 PM.

I always liked the Ripleys but preferred the single shot models, the linear mag system should work well but has a habit of chewing up pellets given the chance, from memory they drop down through a gap which shouldnt be there, the XL25 system was a nightmare

Last one I shot was doing 50ftlb and I think the velocity was around 970fps with Bismags
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

My shooting buddy had a xl25,came with a couple of different depth mags to suit the pellet lengh you were using,he also had AR5s regged doing 1060fps with aa field 18g using poly barrel very accurate as was the xl25 both were lovely guns
    he sold them both last year to get fac wolf mct
    will

I used to have a XL9 but sold it a few months ago, mine used to love Barracuda match pellets, the only thing I didn't like about it was that it didn't have a safety catch.

Andy

very nearly bought one a few months back but opted for the fx cyclone insted...

still wish sometimes

sako

i would rather have the saco i have one absolutly cracking gun mine is the finfire never part with it ....

Amazing Guns

I have one - it was made for me, it will never leave my ownership.

Get used to the Mag and you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie g View Post
    allways wanted one in fac. they do look the cream of the crop of air rifles.

maybe one day
    They are not Jamie!! I owned one when they came out and didn't like it. The rifle is VERY large and the magazine is an absolute pain although it is very well made. The rifle is hard to run needing a 300BAR fill to get over 20 shots. It isn't a question of carrying 20 rabbits but one of how many fills do you get out of a 300 BAR cylinder when the rifle itself needs 300BAR.
    To the OP-obviously I'm glad you like yours but for my money the performance of my 32 ft lb Rapid which only requires a 232BAR fill suits me much better. I couldn't wait to get rid of my Ripley if I'm honest. If you want ultra high power air then the best option is a 50 ft lb RAPID in .25 but for my money at these power levels you are firmly in .22LR territory. Obviously if safety concerns rule rimfire out then the 50 ft lb .25 Rapid is just fantastic. Try one-you won't regret it.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 02-08-2012 at 04:50 PM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

They are great Rifles no doubt.

If anything an XL9 is little bit too good to take hunting!

But have to agree with previous posts, I would suggest a "Bottle" gun is better for FAC work.

I don't use FAC Air, my guns are all sub 12, but have to say - even at that level - my Airwolf carries 300 ish shots, which is soooooo convenient and because of this my XL9 is now semi retired.

Magazines are flipping annoying me at the moment - my XL9 has to be loaded at a jaunty angle, or the pellets fell out of the fixed mag.
    My Airwolf has got a very moody mag, which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and its always on shot number 7, its a good job the silencer works well and doesn't spook stuff too much when you shoot at it and nowt comes out the barrel!

If I was going for FAC Air - I think Rapid or Wolf would get my choice first -

Rapid would be my first choice because i had a Mk2 Rapid 400 shots and never had any mag problems on that - not like the annoying mag on the Wolf.

Ta.