Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Make your own parts on a Myford?

id love a myford but the shipping would be mad

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    I had a Myford Super 7 for many years, it was a good machine with little wear & i made a lot of bits & pieces on it.
    It fell down in one major respect, it has a piddling little hole up the headstock so you cant do barrels or cylinders on it. It was always too small for the jobs i had to do.
    Sold it & got a Colchester Bantam. Problem solved!
    The Colchester Bantam does have a larger bore in the headstock spindle and is a good machine I have used many times, but it is a much bigger machine and is not necessary for any airgun related job.

There is no lathe work that may be ever considered on an airgun that cannot be done on a Myford.

I have not seen any airgun barrels larger than 7/8 inch diametre so this should not be a problem if for some reason you felt the need to machine the barrel in that way.

Larger diametre cylinders, and long tubes like air gun barrels would normally be turned beween centres in any case - but I guess this could just be a matter of preference.

Barrel and cylinder work would be the largest size items to encounter on a lathe, and are easilly taken care of with the the use of either a fixed or travelling steady and are well inside the capabilities of a Myford lathe

The Myford lathes are used by many gunsmiths at home and overseas as they are the ideal size for any airgun related job.
    Last edited by zooma; 04-05-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

My Myford ML10 was used to turn a MK11 Service rifle barrel. It's still a blank however as I didn't have the bed length to deep hole drill it. A few years ago I acquired a replacement, the ML7 Super with quick change gearbox etc. Maybe one day I'll finish the job! In the meantime a .25 rifled blank was machined to fit instead and has been designed to provide a more positive location when locked down.
    Milling is also fairly straightforward with only the addition of a bolt on vertical slide. I still occasionally use mine for this even though I have a separate mill.

Even the very small lathes can be used for most airgun parts, as mentioned, and it sure beats sticking bits in an electric drill and picking them out of the ceiling.

Go on, you know you want one.......

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    and it sure beats sticking bits in an electric drill and picking them out of the ceiling.

I have had to duck more than once over the years when doing something I KNOW I should not be, but have been stuck at home with no proper kit, and have been too impatient!...I expect we all here have drawn a bit of blood over our hobby over the years if we are honest

I am a lot more careful and patient these days, something that sadly comes with advancing years

zooma you got post buddy
    Perhaps as a group of hobbyists we have a tendency to worry to much about nothing sometimes? bigtoe

Quote Originally Posted by keithomas View Post
    zooma you got post buddy
    Hi Keith,

Replied to the email address provided.

ML7 - Gone to a good home

I swapped the ML7 parts project for a .177 BSA Stutzen today so that one has gone to a good home with a new owner that has already restored an ML7 previously, so I am sure it will end up as a really nice tidy lathe and a good interesting project.

........and I am delighted with the Stutzen!

Hi Bob

It was hard parting with one of my one of my Stutzens yesterday, but, I enjoyed my last ML7 Refurb, so winter project in stock. Just hope we have had a summer before I get stuck in.

One day...

I will have a decent lathe again one day (Harrison and Myford in times gone by) but for the time being my 7x14 will have to do!

Here's what I made last night to attach my Air Arms silencer to my BSA Goldstar! Tonight I'll be making one in brass.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1042732...eat=directlink

Nice work.

My Super 7 also gone to a good home.

My Super 7 has been taken to a good home where I am sure it will be installed carefully and provide many years of pleasure and no doubt make a few nice parts as well!

I was left with a 100 year Centenary BSA Airsporter in .22 that had never be shot, and some pennies to put to a good cause.

I spoilt the virgin Airsporter by shooting it this afternoon at my RedRob bell target. What a lovely rifle, it all felt so "new" and well put together, very heavy trigger ( will be adjusted) but nice and smooth. Even my wife said "what a lovely rifle" - praise indeed - never heard anything like that before!

The Airsporter rang the bell a few times and I felt guilty for using it (NOT) -I was absolutely thrilled.

I will treasure it and keep it very well cared for, but I believe air rifles are made to be used and are not just for looking at so this one will not be allowed to grow old gracefully and deteriorate in the box - but it will enjoy a good future with a semi-active life (and get spoilt rotten).

I am a happy bunny and very pleased I mentioned the lathes on BBS as I hope it will inspire others to "have a go" and make the parts needed to get those retired old rifles and pistols working again. They were never ment to retire - they just got old and need a few new parts to become active again.

Unfortunately I still have few more lathes I need to part with, so I hope they also end up with a bright future with new owners that will enjoy using them to breath some new life into some old air rifles and pistols that have been retired far too early!

.......and maybe to make some good tuning and custom parts too!
    Last edited by zooma; 04-05-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Hi Bob

Strange, but I didn’t get the` what have you done’ feeling when parting with the Centenary as I did with the Stutzen. Probably as it had never shot I didn’t have the same attachment to it. Glad you have put some pellets through it, must admit it came pretty close to being shot recently. Your wife liking it was also a bonus, my wife’s reaction was `why do you need three lathes?’ but she used to ask `why do you need more than one rifle?’ I’m sure she will be dragging me away from the Myford (RDG) stand at next Fridays Harrogate show.

Rest assured the Super 7 will be used, but looked after. I was at the Club outdoor range last night so I have not had time for a play, as yet, but looking at the bed and change gears they look in pristine condition.

Ha ha - wives eh?

They just don't understand why we "boys still need our toys" when they can grow up and get all sensible and (almost) logical at times about making do with just the one sewing machine etc......although I have say I have noticed this does not apply to shoes..and a few other things come to think about it!

Taking your wife to the Harrogate Model Engineers Show next Friday is a very brave thing to do, and should ensure you don't get to spend anything!

I also hope to be there, so you can show me the things you would have liked to buy.........if you could!

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Ha ha - wives eh?

They just don't understand why we "boys still need our toys" when they can grow up and get all sensible and (almost) logical at times about making do with just the one sewing machine etc......although I have say I have noticed this does not apply to shoes..and a few other things come to think about it!

Taking your wife to the Harrogate Model Engineers Show next Friday is a very brave thing to do, and should ensure you don't get to spend anything!

I also hope to be there, so you can show me the things you would have liked to buy.........if you could!
    If you were,nt so far away I would be interested but distance and the fact I bought a Emco Unimat lathe and milling kit a couple of weeks back means i can refrain from the temptation at the moment !
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    If you were,nt so far away I would be interested but distance and the fact I bought a Emco Unimat lathe and milling kit a couple of weeks back means i can refrain from the temptation at the moment !
    Willpower and a not inconsiderable distance will keep the cash safe in your pocket .

Enjoy your Unimat, it is a very capable little lathe - I am selling Gerald Wingroves "Unimat Lathe Projects" book on Amazon at the moment as I don't have a Unimat, but it is a very informative read and shows the capabilities of the machine tool.

A neat little machine with a big punch - very nice!