Thread: Parker Hale 3 Band .577 Pyrodex Loads???

Parker Hale 3 Band .577 Pyrodex Loads???

Hi Just bought a nice Parker Hale 3 Band Enfield .577 Rifle looking for powder charge information using 'Pyrodex RS; cant use black powder at the moment as I am still waiting for my visit from the firearms officer to pass my box and location of the box for acceptance of my explosive license application.
    Thanks in advance for any information

Dougie

any photos of it ??

I have the 2 band Navy which is the same as yours, just a bit shorter. I use 70grns of black powder with a patched ball or a minnie bullet. Mine prefers patched balls. Substitutes are used the same as b/p by volume. The bottom of the barrel is slightly tapered i believe so you need to use enough powder to allow the ball to seat firmly on top of the powder. I have used 777 and pyrodex in mine but dont have the volumes to hand. I can weigh out some b/p tommorrow and convert it to a substitute load if you like. Best Wishes, Tim

1 x leval 4.0cc scoop of TS2 black powder weighs 60gns. 1 x leval 4.0cc scoop of pyrodex RS (FFG) weighs 44gns. This is using a Lee plastic powder scoop. Weighed this out 5 times with each and it came out acceptably close in weight each time.
    I have used this load in mine and it shoots well at 50m, plenty of oomph for 50m and not much recoil. My 2 band is not powder fussy in the slightest, its been quite happy to fire b/p, pyrodex and 777 over the years iv had it but it does prefer patched round ball to minnie bullets.
    I payed £300 for mine about 8 years ago and its performed faultlessly every time out. Lovely old gun. Tim

I have a Parker Hale 2 band Navy in .577 from the 1970's fantastic musket

For 25yrd comp's I use around 50 / 52 grn's of 777 this would equate to 45 grns of BP / Pyrodex with ball and patch

I have a BP / Pyrodex measure tube and I fill it to 45grns and then on the RCBS powder loader, lock it and fill all my plastic philes.

I never use mini bullets as they just seem to be inaccurate

I find this amount of 777 gives amazing groups in the 8 / 9 / 10 ring at 25yrds for a smothbore musket.

777 is also not as corrosive and easy to clean after use

Steve