Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anschutz 1710 (Picture Links Provided)

Anschutz 1710 (Picture Links Provided)

I have just treated myself to a good second-hand Anschutz 1710.

The rimfire bug bit me and I already owned a 1995 CZ452 and a 1958 Brno model 5. Both are in very good condition and both are incredibly accurate.

But I had space in the gun safe. I was impressed with the reputation of the Anschutz, and decided that would be my next purchase.

After much soul searching and trawling through web sites I found this 1710, and yesterday I picked it up.

It's in lovely condition (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and I can't wait until tomorrow to put a scope on it and shoot it.

First impressions are that it oozes quality. While the CZ and Brno both have a great feel, the Anschutz just feels so much more solid.

The rifle is 2007, as indicated by the AH stamp. It has a double set trigger, which I have not fired before, so I am keen to see how it works out. The barrel appears to be fully floated as a sheet of paper easily passes between the barrel and the stock.

Here are some photos, and over the next few days I will report on how it shoots.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...710/annie1.jpg
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...710/annie2.jpg
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...710/annie4.jpg
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...710/annie3.jpg

Thanks a great looking rifle ( i couldnt justify selling my Finnfire , but if i could it would be for an Annie all day long) and i expect it will shoot as good as it looks

cheers

craig

Last night I fitted a Hawke Sidewinder 30 8~32 mag scope and gave the bore a good clean. I used a boresnake sized for .22 and it felt quite tight, and I finished with some Hoppes Elite.

This morning it was down to the shooting club. On the menu today was S&K Rifle Match, which does pretty well in my CZ452 and Brno Model 5.

I sighted up at 50 using a table and a front bag. When I got the feel of the rifle, after a few cards I got this nice 5 shot cloverleaf.

Next I moved on to the 100 yards and after sighting up and some practice I fired 10 shots on this card

So, the rifle itself seems to be very accurate - and I hope to improve to match the rifle's capability.

I think the accuracy comes from 2 features - the barrel and the trigger.

The 1710 comes in 2 barrel flavours, the 1710 D KL and the 1710 D HB. The HB stands for Heavy Barrel which is 23" long and 21mm in diameter, while the 1710 D KL has a 23" barrel and 18mm diameter.

My rifle is the 1710 D KL. Although it does not come with the Heavy Barrel, I would say that it is medium-heavy, and certainly well up to Varmint standards found on CZ and Sako.

This extra weight adds to the stability, and I noticed that it was easier to keep the Anschutz steadier than the lighter CZ452 or Brno.

The second feature is the trigger. My rifle is unusual, having a Double Set Trigger. This takes some getting used to, as it has 2 triggers that perform different functions.
    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...710/annie4.jpg

The rear trigger only cocks the front trigger. Squeezing this rear trigger does not fire, but primes the front trigger. This front trigger is quite light, and the manual says it is a hair trigger. Well, it isn't although it can be adjusted to be a hair trigger. But on my rifle it is probably set to about 4 oz, which is light enough to stop it snatching. For huting, when the bolt is cocked, the front trigger alone will fire the rifle, but the pull is about 3 lbs.

This is a 2007 built rifle, and Anschutz no longer offer the Double Set Trigger except on special order.

Next steps for me are to shoot more to get better used to this fine piece of hardware and then to try out some different ammo. I will try Lapua Center-X and Eley Match to see which will group better.

So far, I'm a happy bunny
    Last edited by pintosal; 06-05-2012 at 09:57 AM.

I used to have a 1712STS bought new in the mid 80s. To be honest I think that yours is a 1712 as that has the roll over cheekpiece, the stock might well be a Special Select as well. I thought the 1710 had a stock without the cheekpiece, this is from the current Anshultz site:

This is a 1710, no roll over cheekpiece.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...&produktID=208

This is a 1712, with cheekpiece.

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index...uktShow=detail

I would have said your wood quality was better than those in the pics. So I think what you have is a 1712STS. ST = Set Trigger, S = select miestergrade stock

1712 is the top of the line rifle, the STS is the pinnacle so well done, its a fine bit of kit.

The weight of that front trigger is fairly easy to adjust, the importers ( Frank Dyke ?) should be able to provide you with a manual. My front trigger was about as yours weightwise, any lighter and you run into trouble in the winter with cold fingers. Make sure you learn the trigger de cock drill until you can do it in your sleep, practise with an empty gun of course. From memory this used to be, pull rear trigger and hold fully back, pull front trigger with another finger, release rear trigger, release front trigger. That takes the front trigger off the hair setting.

A
    Last edited by Alycidon; 04-05-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Hi Alycidon

I'm sure my rifle is not a 1712. The Anschutz downloadable catalogue shows the 1710 KL with the identical Monte Carlo stock to mine, and the top of the barrel is stamped 1710.

However, as the pictures show, the wood is very nice, and might well be the specially selected variety.

The rear trigger does not need to be held, and when I pull on this rear it clicks and stays on. Then I can use my index finger to fire the front trigger.

Good suggestion to contact the importers re setting the trigger weight.

You said you used to have a 1712. Presumably you no longer have it? What was your experience with it, and why did you get rid of it?

I can't see myself ever getting rid of it, unless due to drastic circumstances.

I have a 1722D bought new in the mid 80's which looks pretty similar to yours. This was my first firearm and I dont ever intend to sell it although it doesn't get much use these days. They are really lovely rifles, terrific quality and a pleasure to own. The only bit I dont like is the daft wing safety which is absolute pants compared to a Sako Finnfire, but I still love it!

Ammo Tests

My first testing was with S&K Rifle Match, which gave me a nice touching 5 shot cloverleaf at 50 yards, and sub-1 inch groups at 100 yards.

Next up were the S&K Standard Plus. These are a cheaper grade than the Rifle Match, but the grouping performance seemed to be the same, although I did get the occasional flyer.

So far, that suggests that the barrel is not too fussy.

Next week I will try the Lapua Center-X and Eley Match.

In my CZ and Brno the Lapua groups best of all, followed by Eley. It will be interesting to see what the Annie thinks of these, because the precision shooters at my club all have Anschutz and use Eley Match or Tenex.

That is a very nice rifle and quite rare with the set trigger option.I was looking at one of these for sale over the last few months and almost made an offer.I have three 54 action sporters and love them.Like everyone says the safety is a pain in the arse but apart from that they are a pleasure to own.
    In saying yes to this air rifle you are confirming that you are not a messer and are allowed to go out in public without your carer

Quote Originally Posted by frontend loader View Post
    That is a very nice rifle and quite rare with the set trigger option.I was looking at one of these for sale over the last few months and almost made an offer.I have three 54 action sporters and love them.Like everyone says the safety is a pain in the arse but apart from that they are a pleasure to own.
    Can you remember the price of the one you were considering? I paid just over £700 for mine.

To be honest, as I only shoot at targets at a shooting club, the safety is not likely to be an issue. But I must get the hang of de-cocking as I am sure I will need to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by pintosal View Post
    Can you remember the price of the one you were considering? I paid just over £700 for mine.

To be honest, as I only shoot at targets at a shooting club, the safety is not likely to be an issue. But I must get the hang of de-cocking as I am sure I will need to do that.
    I saw it on one of the internet market places[GT] It was about £750 and it's not on there any more as I just looked,may have been the same rifle then?
    In saying yes to this air rifle you are confirming that you are not a messer and are allowed to go out in public without your carer

Yes, I bought this from a dealer who advertised it on Gun Trader, and it was showing at £750. But he eventually came down to £725.

So far, I'm very pleased with it and I think it was worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by pintosal View Post
    Hi Alycidon

I'm sure my rifle is not a 1712. The Anschutz downloadable catalogue shows the 1710 KL with the identical Monte Carlo stock to mine, and the top of the barrel is stamped 1710.

However, as the pictures show, the wood is very nice, and might well be the specially selected variety.

The rear trigger does not need to be held, and when I pull on this rear it clicks and stays on. Then I can use my index finger to fire the front trigger.

Good suggestion to contact the importers re setting the trigger weight.

You said you used to have a 1712. Presumably you no longer have it? What was your experience with it, and why did you get rid of it?

I can't see myself ever getting rid of it, unless due to drastic circumstances.

So having set the front trigger to hair and you don't get to fire the shot how do you then unset it ?.

I sold mine for 3 reasons, one was that I was shooting on a golf course and simply needed more firepower for 2nd , 3rd and 4th shots that presented themselves immediatly after the first one. The second was that it was awkward to use from within a 4x4, it was just to long in the barrel and the third was the awkward to use rotary safety catch on the rear of the bolt. I bought a custom 10/22, almost same level of accuracy, as many follow ups as you want and a 14 inch barrel, it did what I needed at the time.

A
    Last edited by Alycidon; 07-05-2012 at 02:28 PM.

To uncock, I follow the procedure recommended in the manual. Firstly I set the safety on the bolt to the SAFE position, secondly pull the front trigger.

Yes, I can see why a 10/22 would better suit your hunting needs. Sadly, I don't yet have any hunting permissions, so I am restricted to target shooting at a club.

Well you could not have chosen a better tool for that, team it with came good quality mounts and optics, my mounts came from Sportsmatch. I did find the 10 shot clip was the one I used the most.

A

Eley Match

This morning I was trying out Eley Match. Weather conditions: light was very dull, and wind light with the odd gusts.

I was shooting at 100 yards, looking for grouping rather than bull's eyes.

This is my best card of 10 shots, and I got a nice group when the wind dropped. On this showing the gun is very accurate, and I'll have to improve to match it.

However, I did notice that the Eleys are less well lubricated than the S&K Rifle Match and Standard Plus. Out of a box of 50 I had 2 mis-feeds when the first bullet in the magazine would not enter the breech properly. I had to remove the magazine and reload the offending bullets. This was not a problem with either of the S&K boxes, which gave me no mis-feeds.

Next ammo test will be Lapua Center-X.