Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air pistol, where to start?

air pistol, where to start?

hey all, new here.

im hoping to get a cheap easy to use air pistol to start off with, im looking possibly at a co2 one but i have no idea whre to look,
    does anybody have any suggestions. i have a very small budget to start with...

thanks

Welcome to the forum first of all.

I've shuffled your post along to the Pistol section, you'll get a more targeted response in here.

What sort of budget are you looking at, and what are you thinking of using the pistol for?
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Welcome to BBS

As Rich says, some idea of budget and intended use would be helpful regarding suggestions

When you say CO2 - are you leaning towards multishot?

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    A budget springer like the hatsan will see more power and potentially more accuracy than a cheap co2 with the bonus of lower running costs. Having said that, a Crosman 2240 is hard to beat from any viewpoint!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Welcome ....If funds are tight then the Crosman range has arguably the best budget CO2 pellet firing offerings IMO...
    2240 - .22 single shot, highly customisable as further funds allow, very powerful and pretty accurate, fairly loud on firing.
    357W - .177 multi-shot revolver, styled as a combat gripped Colt Python replica, fast fire fun.
    Otherwise wait for a 2nd hand offering from the Umarex range to come up for sale on here perhaps?

BB guns can be good fun too, but require caution as the steel BB's have a nasty habit of rebounding and ultimately seldom reward on the accuracy front...

Whatever you choose - have fun, be safe...

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    CO2 is rubbish at the lower end of the market.

If you want to become a good pistol shot, get a good pistol. I would choose a HW70 or a Gamo Compact, you can get them secondhand for about £100. The get 10,000 pellets and a pellet trap, download the US Army Pistol Marksmanship manual and practice like a mommafommer. If you are still interested after that, go to a club, get some coaching, sell the pistol and buy a proper match-type PCP for a month's salary.

Here is wisdom for free ...

http://www.saveourguns.com/Ar_Marks_...rain_Guide.pdf

If you want to just have 'pistol shooting fun' then buy one of the gas operated green or pink airsoft 6mm BB pistols and shoot up your beer cans and matchboxes in your livingroom.

Good luck!

Another vote for the Crosman 2240 here, I have one and it's a lot of fun and pretty accurate. I'm just starting the modding process with a steel left hand breech, LPA MiM sight and a couple of other bits and pieces, trigger kit will be next. The whole thing is a test bed for working on a 2250 in the future.
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

hey all, thanks for the response.

in regards to budget i really dont know how much i should spend. what are your recommendations? i probably want to start as cheap as possible just until i find my feet. i have an unused field right next to my house which i have permission to use, failing that my garden is a good size.

i cant get access to the for sale section yet apparently so i dont know whats on there.

if anyone has anything like what im looking for for sale cheap let me know

you just know i will say baikal most accurarte and pointable.
    Last edited by max headroom; 04-05-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: miss spelt
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    No connection to me, but there's a 2nd hand Umarex Walther CP88 in there being sold a chap called jimmypop at £100
    or even better a 4" Smith & Wesson for £95 from a chap called notchjohnson both of whom you can PM for more details
    or you could always try an ad in the 'wanted' section and see what surfaces...

Where to start

Nick........a few years ago l used to deal with a shop in Whitlesey called Dave Shipmans Gun shop.
    I don't know if he still in business but you could look the name up in your Peterborough Telephone Directory.
    He was a very fair man, always willing to help anyone who is just starting (like yourself) without ripping you off.
    Best of luck
    Barrie (Dr)
    Politicians and babies nappies should be changed regularly....
    usually for the very same reason !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Barrie View Post
    Nick........a few years ago l used to deal with a shop in Whitlesey called Dave Shipmans Gun shop.
    I don't know if he still in business but you could look the name up in your Peterborough Telephone Directory.
    He was a very fair man, always willing to help anyone who is just starting (like yourself) without ripping you off.
    Best of luck
    now just whitlesey gun shop. still open and still very freindly. if he aint got what you want he will know someone that does if his dad is still with us he has quite some knowledge of shooting gear.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Are you primarily interested in multi-shot action shooting (maybe like lining up empty beer cans and mowing them down?).

Or in something slower, but more durable and accurate?

If the former, go for an Umarex that you like the look of. Or a Crosman .357 if Umarex is too expensive.

If the latter, an HW 40, 45, or 75 are all good choices. Or a Crosman 2240, or a Benjamin Sheridan EB.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

mainly after multi shot, just plinking some cans or knock down targets. i was looking at a crosman but like i said i have a tight budget, what price range can i expect for a dirt cheap multi shot?

thanks

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Avoid the current crop of plastic semi-auto clone Crosman multi-shot pellet pistols, they cost more than twice the price here that they do in the states where their price accurately reflects their disposeable nature.
    The 357 is a good gun but I know a few guys who have had leak issues with new guns recently, could just be a bad batch,
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com