Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGS PCR1, anyone got one yet?

AGS PCR1, anyone got one yet?

And if so is it any good?

It looks very basic and a little cheap but as long as it handles OK and shoots straight then i'm sure it's not that bad.

So come on is it worth buying one.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Firm but fair.

Graham2 Guest
    I got one through on Thursday for test, but as yet haven't had a chance to shoot it. I'll be taking it up the club on Tuesday night, to put as many shots as I can through it. So I'll post my findings the same night. It does look a little 'different' I suppose, but when it's in the shoulder, you forget about it. It's on the sofa next to me at the moment, as I'm just scoping it up. The well fineshed, oiled hardwood stock is actually very clever, all the bits you need, without any excess, and ambidextrous too. The air cylinder is very skinny, so I doubt if there are many shots available, but I do think this 'must have 10,000 shots per fill' mentality is getting a bit silly. It may be built to a price, but it looks very well made.

Hi Graham,
    looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it, good or bad!!

Cheers,

Steve.
    Firm but fair.

Can anyone explain to me why the barrel on the PCR1 seems to be in two pieces? There is a joint, or what looks like one about 4 or 5 inches from the muzzle. The barrel is already thin and I doubt its a sleeve. Just curios.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Graham2 Guest
    Just got back from the club, didn't get to shoot it as much as I wanted, as I had a few new members to sort out, show round etc. Filling's easy, just pull off the cap, snap on the quick fill and give it 200 BAR. I'm very impressed with the stock, looks a bit strange, but don't we all! People with dirty great hands may find the pistol grip a bit cramped, due to the back of the trigger guard getting in the way at the top of the grip. Normal people should be OK though. The ham fisted amongst us could soon shorten the guard, to allow the three fingers that hold the grip to move up higher.The stock doesn't have any chequering, but doesn't need any, and would put the cost up anyway. The cut-away butt isn't a problem, as there's plenty for your cheek to rest on, and the curved butt pad stays put in your shoulder when on aim. All in all, a clever bit of furniture. I got nearly 50 shots per charge, which is fine from such a skinny cylinder. The loading trough is a bit cramped, as the probe doesn't go back very far when cocked. However, after a few shots, I worked out a technique which worked all the time, so no real problem in the end. As most of the shots were through the chrono, I didn't really get much time to shoot targets, but I'm sure it'll be OK acuracy wise. Everything seems to be well made, and the oil finished hardwood stock is very impressive. Not everyone will like the styling, but it'll win those people over when they actually handle one.

Thanks for that,
    sounds like it not that bad after all, and i might just buy one!!

Cheers,

Steve.
    Firm but fair.

Just recently, I've been pondering as to the shape I'd like to have a stock either shaped to (by someone else) or one I'd like to have a 'bash' at forming myself. Spent some time on the BAR site looking for inspiration. Specifically at their HW100. I've also spent some time looking at the Logon synthetic stocks.

The more I've thought about it, the more a 'pistol' type grip seems sensible to me, even if it meant the thumb position wouldn't perhaps be in the best place for a trigger 'pull'. (Thumb up).

I'd even gotten to the stage where a Stealth was looking decidedly attractive. (But maybe too difficult to quieten, and maybe heavy anyway).

Just had a look at the AGS stock. (I'm never gong to own a single shot - ever). And was shocked. The shape of the stock I had visualised is the same as the AGS one. So much for 'original' thought.....

Think I'm in love.......

Picture at BAR
    To be good, one must do good.

I have just got one in .22. The girlfriend has bought it for my 30th birthday but i cannot have it till then(10 days).
    I did however run it over the chrono(just to test it was legal, honest) and fire a little 5 shot group off(just to make sure it worked, honest).

Well it was running 11ft/lbs straight from the box and produced a tidy clover leaf about 9mm across.

Needless to say i was impressed.

Now i know a lot of you have a problem with the stock.
    I think it is great. It is comfortable to hold, and has a cheekpiece. Just like any other stock. What it does achieve is a point of balance just forward of the trigger guard.

I experimented with a few HFT shooting positions and was a very happy man.
    Taking a standing position you can use the bottom of the pistol grip as a support with your elbow on your hip. The hold and aim was rock steady.
    This was the same in a kneeling position. Because the P.O.B is so far back there is no strain on the supporting arm.

The cocking action on first try was very stiff, but with a little fumbling i soon had the knack. Just place your right thumb at the rear of the reciever and cock with the first finger. Easy Peasy!

There is a trick with loading too. You have to load it almost like a spring, half dropping the pellet onto the feed tray and half into the breach. Those with larger fingers may struggle, but not a problem for me.

So a few things but it only took me 7 shots to get to grips with it.All in all a nice bit of kit. Cant wait to get some lead through it.
    I think their is a new contender to rival the S200.
    Air Arms look out!
    Willput up more when iv'e put a few tins through it.
    Andy
    LIFE IS NOT COMPLICATED........
    SOCIETY JUST MAKES IT THAT WAY!!!!

Thanks again for the info as to how good they seem to be.

It's still looking like i'm going to buy one

Cheers,

Steve.
    Firm but fair.

Phoned AGS and they reacon it will be around june for the .177.
    Somthing to do with the action wasn't smooth enough for their standards so it has been returned for re-working.
    At least it shows they have a standard that they want to pass on to their customers.
    That can only be a good sign.
    LIFE IS NOT COMPLICATED........
    SOCIETY JUST MAKES IT THAT WAY!!!!

big dom Guest

ags pcr1

Bought a pcr1 last week and have just sent it back. It would not hold a zero and the power dropped off after approx 20 shots. I was lucky to get the first 30 shots from a charge in a 6 inch group. Having always shot spring rifles this was not a happy start to the precharged way of thinking.Still think you have to go a long way to beat my old HW77 for reliability and accuracy.Would be interested to hear of any other experiences.

Try the AA S200 for a cheap (ish) PCP. Highly regarded by their owners on here.

singleshot Guest

pcr1

Dont get one,very poor quality,no accuracy,bad internal finish.
    Can all people who have one and are unhappy with the gun contact me,perhaps we could all turn up at AGS [simmons] and demand refunds.!!

Hi,
    when you say "bad internal finish" what do you mean? Have you have the gun to bits to have a look inside.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Firm but fair.

singleshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by steve D
    Hi,
    when you say "bad internal finish" what do you mean? Have you have the gun to bits to have a look inside.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Yes,rough finish to hammer and bolt,needs good honing,barrel/breech assembly alignment not correct.
    My gun also had bad leak when purchased,had to strip to see why. o-ring material too hard,and is easily damaged when removing valve assembly.I have cured the leak now using softer material o ring.
    Actual leak was from front cylinder plug o ring which was the wrong size.
    British made guns are best in world.Lesson learned.