Thread: Webley Tempest not fired for a long time any oiling tips?

Webley Tempest not fired for a long time any oiling tips?

Hi

I have got my 1982 Tempet from the loft, still boxed with oil paper etc. I havent fired this since the early 90's and want to use it. However as its been in storage for so long I am wondering if I should oil/strip before doing.

Any tips or advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks
    Baz

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    The guns got a PTFE seal so theres nothing to dry up, However the barrel seal is a synthetic rubber and will probably have gone hard or developed a 'set' after all this time static, but thats minor - so a couple of drops of oil in the usual places and work it in a few times and it'll be fine.

That's great, thank you

Dont use any oil for the insides!

Just wipe it off/clean it, oil the linkages, the barrel lockup pin, and where the linkage hits the action during cocking (with grease).
    Nice shooting.
    ATB,
    yana

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post

why ? ,,,its not powerfull enough to detonate if thats what you thinking .
    i used to put one drop of oil in the cylinder about once per year ,
    didnt get any explosions ,
    Getting Old

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    Ignore this...follow the lubrication instructions that came with the gun and lubricate the seal & piston skirt via the cocking slot with 3-4 drops of Weboil (or clean motor oil, 30W ideally).
    Webley owners worldwide have been doing this for decades....

Yeah, I had one, bought sec hand, which had that 'oil-treatment' according to the manual;; it dieseled like hell.
    Opened it up, it had quite some of oil in it, and the spring was broken in 3 pieces..
    Oil for the insides is too thin and a very 'old' useage imo. Its too thin, especially with warmer temperatures, it tends to start walking around..
    I know its in the manual, but some manuals also state that dry firing is ok when you adjust the trigger..
    Second downside of oil ís, that it tends to 'disappear' after lying a while (the weapon lying a while); all Diana's are oiled from factory; if you remove the stock though, they look bonedry and some seals even squeek and need a re-lube(from factory new!?). Oil is just too thin to stick well imo.

Everything thats oily or greasy thats in front of the pistonseal can cause dieseling.
    I use moly. For pistols as well. (I dont like tar).

Actually, I did the .22 Tempest with it (the above). Its VERY accurate now, no dieseling, shoots very smooth.

But hé, its just an advise, you dont have to take it.
    ATB,
    yana

Thank you

To think I used to just spray WD40 down the barrel when I was young!

Thank you for all the tips, I think I need a new regime.

Just fired off some pellets indoors, single hole but at a short range

Was a bit of smoke and smell. I have never taken apart so am a little nervous of doing so. Will have a look to see if I can find a video on YouTube and have a crack sometime soon.

Plastic Fore End

Quote Originally Posted by Bazmati2020 View Post
    Just fired off some pellets indoors, single hole but at a short range

Was a bit of smoke and smell. I have never taken apart so am a little nervous of doing so. Will have a look to see if I can find a video on YouTube and have a crack sometime soon.
    Be very careful how you remove the plastic moulding on the front, it requires a roll pin to be removed, which if done too harshly will crack the plastic.
    If yours has the wording "WEBLEY TEMPEST" and the writing is still nice and clear, then it will probably not be replaceable, you can sometimes locate the later front end which only bears the name "TEMPEST" but a new one will probably cost around £20.
    As has already been said, if it works ok - leave it alone.... Lubricated properly they seem to go on forever!

Atb. Robin.

If its shooting OK, I wouldn't bother stripping it. From what you have said assume its in very good condition once you start messing with it you stand a good chance of marking it i.e knocking those pins out, and as mentioned previously damaging the front moulding.

Just feed it on Superdomes and Hobby pellets and enjoy it.

Thanks guys, good advice which I will follow.