Thread: Webley Excel,

Webley Excel,

A friend sorted me out one of these as i mentioned i was on the look out for something for my teenage lad,
    turned out to be made in Brum, SN. 8141**
    but apart from that,no idea,
    could you fine people fill me in on the model,
    good point's,
    British made,condition,not too bad,little spotting to the barrel,few tiny spotting marks on the cylinder,looks cleanable,
    only a few little mark's and scratch's to the woodwork,
    biggest, down point's,no front or rear sight's.
    and from a personnal opinion,it's 1.77, not .22
    very nice to shoulder,light,it's a webley,
    are these anymore than plinking rifle's,?would it be ok for ratting etc,?
    as mentioned i didnt know the model on first conversation,but i'm so far out on stuff barring 20 year's ago
    if any of you guy's have spare sight's,give me a holler,or would it be worth putting on scope and silencer ?
    or, is it something i should be moving on sooner rather than later,
    appreciate any thought's,happy to hear brutal honesty,no sugar coating,
    cheer's,
    best,
    lee.

excell

made along the lines of the old vulcan, certainly powerfull enough to hunt with,good enough starter gun,basic but up to the job,wouldn't bother with open sights,cheap second hand scope and your off, if you really want sights get back to me next week ,Den

Many thank's Den,
    if you decide to move on the open sight's,shoot me a mail or pm please,if it's reasonable i'l be interested,
    appreciate the reply and info,
    cheers,

The trigger upgrade from Chambers is well worth doing,(needs stock letting round trigger so likely not DIY fit on Excel) about £25, and stick in a V Mach kit, add a silencer, perfectly good rifle period, short stock / trigger reach, but not too short for adults -

www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk

www.air-rifle-tuning.com

Thank's PCP,
    i'd had a quick look over at Chamber's,some sight's in stock but some the same out of stock,do they also do consignment from their site ?
    as the price's were very different,
    they also had a webley tuning kit,only ten pounds different to the v-mach i think,
    i'l keep the trigger info in mind after doing a few hours with the rifle,
    would you know about the rear sight screw-threaded rod,it's left proud maybe a cm on the breach block,
    are these removable,without damaging the thread rod,or a new one come's in a sight package,
    and a reccomended on a silencer would be cool,i'm guessing push on with grub screw,
    lastly
    could you guy's offer a loose value on the going rate of these,
    i dont mind putting a bit into it,but dont want to go too silly,oh and a loose est to age,
    many thanks

If it's a short barrel one you'll want a silencer on to cock it - !!!!

The sights aren't worth the cost unless someone on here will let you have some cheap. Once that rear screw comes out it can be a pain to fit again, leave it be if you are thinking of adding sights -

The best money will be on the trigger, then a V Mach kit, rather than the chambers one. Look around for an old pro system silencer, you'll get one for 20 quid or 25, you can buy them 'new' a 'copy' for 30 quid from most gunshops, it will be your best bet to line up on a Webley barrel

An Excel is worth 80 - 120 depending on condition, and no more, a 177 one is worth a bit less as the Webley 177 barrels were never that hot, which was why they started buying Walther ones in for the more expensive rifles (Later Tomy/Longbow)
    Hope that helps, even more !

Thank's mate,
    it help's alot,
    the barrell seem's full length to my eye's but i'l have to measure,
    i did ok with the initial price,so adding a couple of bit's will be ok,
    thank's for the advice,much appreciated,