Thread: Long Unused Webley Premier

Long Unused Webley Premier

Hi new member seeking some advice. I have recently rediscovered my almost forgotten Webley MkIII rifle and Premier pistol after clearing my mothers house. Both the weapons are in exceptional condition for their age and I intend to keep both. The rifle fires OK and has good penetration into soft wood but I am disappointed with the pistol. I am using Wasp pellets in both weapons and with the pistol the pellets just bounce off the soft wood target from about 7 yards. I have stripped and cleaned the pistol spring looks ok but is surprisingly easy to refit its only about 1/2" longer than the chamber the breech seal looks ok and firing after covering with talc shows no real leakage. Any advice on what to approach first or am I expecting too much or is my memory of how powerful it was rose tinted?

I have also lost the 177 barrel which originally came with the pistol so if anyone has one for sale I am interested.

Just a thought - have a look at the breech seal as a leak here will result in the symptoms you describe.

As I am sure you know these pistols are not very powerful (about 3 ft/lbs) but should do better than you describe. They are easy to strip and there is very little preload on the spring so ,although difficult to tell without seeing it, your description sounds about right.

My .22 Premiers will embed pellers in soft wood at 6 yards no problem so my guess is that you are right - it is down on power

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    Just a thought - have a look at the breech seal as a leak here will result in the symptoms you describe.

As I am sure you know these pistols are not very powerful (about 3 ft/lbs) but should do better than you describe. They are easy to strip and there is very little preload on the spring so ,although difficult to tell without seeing it, your description sounds about right.
    Doh - sorry I should have read the original post properly - breech seal already checked!! Well it was early this morning.

Good like with finding the fault.

Paul.

The Wasp pellets you mention are they original ELEY WASPS 5.56 or the new version Wasp - still same colour tin, but the tin does not say ELEY?

I ask as my Tempest .22 is useless with the new Wasps, however my Airsporter is fine with the new Wasps.
    Result with the new Wasps as you describe with the Tempest, yet fine with RWS Superdomes.
    Last edited by john paul; 09-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks for the reply I have used the 5.56 wasps which are a snug fit in both the rifle and the pistol. Could these be a little heavy for the pistol. If super domes are the recommended pellet for the pistol I will try some.

For general target practice I also find RWS Hobby work well in the Tempest, I assume they will be fine in your Premier. With a wadcutter you can see it on your target a lot easier.