Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pax airguns

Thumbs up Pax airguns

Having sold off most of my best guns, i wanted just one good one. I dont hunt, i dont get time to do ft ot hft, but i enjoy plinking in the garden or my loft range. Im not into the norm s400 etc, so after hours of netting, i decided on a phoenix mk2. It seemed to have it all, looks power,speed independent 5 star rateing and as i have a divers bottel, pre charged as well. So then i was looking for shops. Well who else but the shop that makes them Pax. So after a busy morn walking the dog and posting out the guns i sold, i headed off to north London. I was dreading it a little, on a friday etc, but i had a dead clear run their, a12-m25-a1 down to archway rd, knew it well as i played the archway tavern many times! So me n the hound pulled right outside the shop, and when you look at the shop, you just smile, its like a throwback to the 70s, and so is the inside, the old wood counters, and just stacked to the brim with goodies. Well i gotta say Hugh and the chap who makes the phoenix were so welcoming, and very polite, makes a change from many shops iv been in nowdays. It reminded me of grace brothers, where instead of clothes it was guns. So they showed me the demo version of the rifle, and i knew i was going home with it, also the fast fire 10, that was amazing and i was a bit torn between the 2. But the looks and feel of the mk2 won it for me. So they fitted me up with a brand new boxed and tested .22 version, their carbon silencer, a tub of logan penetraters, and a fill of my bottle. The rifle retailed at £750, but i got all this for way less than that. I wish i had more time to look at all the guns they had there, but friday traffic and a trip back to essex was calling. So all in all, a great shop, full of goodies, with 2 polite and very knowlagable gents running the store, well worth a look, and the gun is well worth considering as your next pcp. They all come with 1 hole test card and print out of the power, mines doing 11.5 ft /lbs, perfect, its also built in essex, so that helps should it need to go back. Awesome gun, great shop, and great staff, highley recomend..also for me when i was a kid like 30 years ago, i used ti get the 253 bus to holloway and walk to that shop that used to be in honrsea rd but now closed, this one was always their, so also had memories for me too of the old days.
    Last edited by bassmanrich; 07-01-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

good times ahead I've been sniffing at the pax guns myself please let us know how you get on with it,
    ATB brian

i will, looking at the reviews and the gun itself and chatting to the desginer in pax i think its a clear winner. Im just doing back garden plinks so i dought i can give the right info that review center have for it.

superb

Great thread great service just how it should be. As I was reading your piece about the wood counters (1970's) reminded me of going into Theoben the first time, it was just like that (only a couple of years ago) and the service I got from the young workshop floor guy was superb, had a prob with a 2nd hand rapid and he took it off me and literally rebuilt it there and then right infront of my eyes, tested it and gave it back to me - no charge - WOW.

The shop ?

.also for me when i was a kid like 30 years ago, i used ti get the 253 bus to holloway and walk to that shop that used to be in honrsea rd but now closed, this one was always their, so also had memories for me too of the old days.[/QUOTE]

WALLY'S was the shop i believe . they had a BB rifle i think it was , that looked like an old kentucky rifle . that i liked the look of , but could never park my lorry outside ??? HOLLY

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanrich View Post
    i will, looking at the reviews and the gun itself and chatting to the desginer in pax i think its a clear winner. Im just doing back garden plinks so i dought i can give the right info that review center have for it.
    I think the designer was Graham Bluck and I haven't heard of him being around for ages...

Quote Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
    ........also for me when i was a kid like 30 years ago, i used ti get the 253 bus to holloway and walk to that shop that used to be in honrsea rd but now closed, this one was always their, so also had memories for me too of the old days.
    WALLY'S was the shop i believe . they had a BB rifle i think it was , that looked like an old kentucky rifle . that i liked the look of , but could never park my lorry outside ??? HOLLY
    You mean Whaley's at 456 Hornsey Road, run by Adam Whaley. I used to go in there regularly myself in the early '80s.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

phoenix

Hi,ive just sold my AA pro target + hakko scope to get a phoenix so fingers crossed i will be off to pax guns in the next few weeks to get myself a new phoenix.I have had one before a mk2 .177 but made the big mistake of selling it on.
    The only thing is i cant decide on .177 or .22 ???.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Hi,ive just sold my AA pro target + hakko scope to get a phoenix so fingers crossed i will be off to pax guns in the next few weeks to get myself a new phoenix.I have had one before a mk2 .177 but made the big mistake of selling it on.
    The only thing is i cant decide on .177 or .22 ???.
    Steve
    hey cool, i went for the .22 cos i always have .177 and the logun penetraters they gave me looked pretty mean! tomorrow will look for a nice scope for her. They really are decent folk to deal with. I think you have to get the moderator as the gun looks bare without it, and its much quiter. Their is apparently alot of modification over the mk1. I love mine, very fast fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    You mean Whaley's at 456 Hornsey Road, run by Adam Whaley. I used to go in there regularly myself in the early '80s.
    yeah thats it great shop that was

Quote Originally Posted by albrown View Post
    I think the designer was Graham Bluck and I haven't heard of him being around for ages...
    from what i now Pax bought the rights off parker hale and re enginnered the weak spots of the mk1, and my one has pax gun on it as opposed to phoenix. The guy that made the changes works in the shop with Huge, this is how i understood it. It also is now built in chingford.

phoenix

Congratulations on your new rifle bassmanrich,i did have an HW silencer on my old phoenix but i do like the look of the one on your phoenix (was it called the phantom ?) which i believe was made for the rifle (may be wrong tho).I am going to see if i can strike a deal on a phoenix,2 bottles,2 mags + silencer.I may go for a .177 again as it will mainly be used for club plinking and maybe the odd hunting trip,i am now also thinking rifle or carbine ???....decision`s,decision`s !!!.
    Steve

P.S i would love to track down my old phoenix rifle that i sold to matt007 on here who sold it on but to whom i dont know!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Congratulations on your new rifle bassmanrich,i did have an HW silencer on my old phoenix but i do like the look of the one on your phoenix (was it called the phantom ?) which i believe was made for the rifle (may be wrong tho).I am going to see if i can strike a deal on a phoenix,2 bottles,2 mags + silencer.I may go for a .177 again as it will mainly be used for club plinking and maybe the odd hunting trip,i am now also thinking rifle or carbine ???....decision`s,decision`s !!!.
    Steve

P.S i would love to track down my old phoenix rifle that i sold to matt007 on here who sold it on but to whom i dont know!!!.
    nice one he had both in the shop, i think the rifle looked a little long with the silencer on, yes is the phantom. I paid £625 for gun silencer logun penetraters and a fill on the air bottle (my divers fill up), and all spanking new. I do want to get another mag at some point too. Great exp buying this.

I have bough my first airgun from Hugh Earl at Pax Guns, this was about 20 years ago! I still have it (HW77k) and still visit the shop now and then, Hugh is very helpful and knowledgeable. A proper old school shop with proper old school service

As for the guys who make the Phoenix Mk2, they are often seen at Lea Valley AGC with their Phoenixes. Nice guns and an interesting cocking mechanism, but too John Wayne for me

Another vote for excellent service from Pax.
    My daughter (Batfink) has a MK1 Phoenix. When it came into her possession it was clear that it had been fitted with a suspension spring from a Cortina as a hammer spring. I called Pax, the shop, than called the factory where I spoke to a very kind and patient gentleman who was, I think, in charge of MK2 production. The outcome of it was that he popped a correct hammer spring in the post to me, free of charge. Excellent service.
    We have never had a major problem with the MK1 but the old magazines are a bit awkward at times with a tendency to jam or not index acurately as the mechanism wears. I assume that this has been solved for the new design. Plus, on the MK1 it appears that to remove the magazine, when empty for instance, you have to cock the hammer. I would have preferred to be able to just withdraw the hammer and remove the magazine without cocking. I do not know if the MK2 can do this.
    Nice rifles ....
    Cheers, Phil