Thread: any truth in this?

any truth in this?

somebody in my local gun shop yesterday said he'd heard the government was considering banning the new bb revolvers (ruger, dan wesson, S&W trr8), because of the possibility of converting them to fire rounds a la brocock TAC revolvers. any truth in this? even if the conversion is impossible, is it true that the home office believe it & plan to ban them?

probably prime beef bullshit

it would be a pointless excercise as TACs are already banned unless you have a firearms certificate for same. you cant sell them and when you die they will be destroyed.

an illegal act is an illegal act and it is already covered by existing legislation.

And how many have you heard of being converted exactly.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    probably prime beef bullshit

it would be a pointless excercise as TACs are already banned unless you have a firearms certificate for same. you cant sell them and when you die they will be destroyed.

an illegal act is an illegal act and it is already covered by existing legislation.

And how many have you heard of being converted exactly.
    yeah, but this rumour refers to bb revolvers, & that the home office is thinking of banning them for the same reason as the TACs.

If even 1/10th of gun shop/club house rumours turned out to be true, the world would have ended about ten years ago. Yes, shooting sports are under constant attack by both government and other organizations, but I very much doubt that a ban of this sort is being considered, particularly for the reason stated.

Matt

Brocock TAC cartridges are not banned only the guns that can chamber and fire them.The rumour however I am sure is complete BS.The BB pistols you mention are of such poor construction that they would not even if possible provide an ideal base for any attempt at conversion.ATB

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Converting a pot metal bb gun to fire live rounds?
    Sounds like a good way to make a hand grenade without a fuse...

I call BS.
    Good deals with these members

I reckon BS, the Brococks had all of the bits needed to fire a centre fire primer, most BB revolvers do not. They also had a rifled barrel of the correct calibre for the most common round on earth that from what I can remember was over engineered. Likewise the quality of the guns was far higher than any of the BB revolvers around today, as others have said they are of pot metal castings and the barrel is .177 calibre and incredibly thin.

With the level of work needed, if you can engineer one of these revolvers to fire a live round then you would be capable of making your own firearms anyway so banning them would be pointless.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    I reckon BS, the Brococks had all of the bits needed to fire a centre fire primer, most BB revolvers do not. They also had a rifled barrel of the correct calibre for the most common round on earth that from what I can remember was over engineered. Likewise the quality of the guns was far higher than any of the BB revolvers around today, as others have said they are of pot metal castings and the barrel is .177 calibre and incredibly thin.

With the level of work needed, if you can engineer one of these revolvers to fire a live round then you would be capable of making your own firearms anyway so banning them would be pointless.
    A quick trip down the plumb centre and B&Q would furnish those with the knowledge an SMG, but obviously the ignorance of terrorists, countered by quick witted policing and combined with the determination of our politicians protects us all

i wouldnt have thought you could convert them as brococks used to be self contained and these dan wessons things just let the air through them doesnt dont they

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I can guarantee it'll rapidly become a very unpopular conversion.

In fact, so stupid an idea is it - it should actually be a government funded initiative....
    Free conversion of Dan Wesson CO2 revolvers to live firing - think of the benefits:

1) Only the idiot trying to use one gets killed.
    2) No expensive court case required afterwards.
    3) Destruction of the offending weapon guaranteed on first use.

It's genius.....

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    i wouldnt have thought you could convert them as brococks used to be self contained and these dan wessons things just let the air through them doesnt dont they
    yeah, i know that, but that's not what i was asking about- what i'd like to know, is whether it's true the home office is looking into banning them in case somebody does try to convert one, not whether it can actually be done.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
    ...whether it's true the home office is looking into banning them in case somebody does try to convert one, not whether it can actually be done.
    I don't think they have moved to legislating that only plastic cutlery should be made available to the general public just yet either.

But then it's only a matter of time...

so, the rumour is bullpoop then, & there are no plans to ban bb revolvers?

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
    so, the rumour is bullpoop then, & there are no plans to ban bb revolvers?
    This is the same question that you've asked a number of times before. Clearly nobody on here has the yes/no answer, no matter how many times you ask it.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The chances are that seeing as no one seems to have mentioned this on any of the forums, it's not been mentioned on the news, a google search comes up with nothing, and the entire thing is implausible on every level....chances are that the bloke you overheard was blowing smoke out of his @rse or repeating what Some Bloke In A Pub told him - no doubt based on a cursory glance at the bb gun in question without any knowledge of the internal parts whatsoever. Probably.
    Good deals with these members