Thread: shortening a 10/22 barrel..

shortening a 10/22 barrel..

i'm after buying a 10/22 target... and was wondering if i shortened the original .920 barrel to 16.5"...... would it effect accuracy... i know it would increase velocity.....

i've asked a few people about shortening and they all just say to shorten 16.5"....

if it was shortened more/less can any one tell me how it effects performance....the barrel has a 1:16 twist and i will only be shooting subs through it...

all input greatfully recieved

sorry for hi-jack!

but i have similar thoughts but to 12.5" same twist what best crown angle
    sorted

Quote Originally Posted by thesmi View Post
    sorry for hi-jack!

but i have similar thoughts but to 12.5" same twist what best crown angle
    no problem i was also wondering this...

I have the 10/22T barrel on my rifle. Its chopped down to 12.5'' and its very accurate. Roger @syss did the work.

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    I have the 10/22T barrel on my rifle. Its chopped down to 12.5'' and its very accurate. Roger @syss did the work.
    was it chopped down from action or the muzzle..... what kinda crown did he put on it.... and what do you call accurate....

The first question to ask is, why shorten the barrel? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by andyone View Post
    was it chopped down from action or the muzzle..... what kinda crown did he put on it.... and what do you call accurate....
    As far as im aware you cant shorten from the action end because of the way its bolted to the action. I dont know what sort of crown job he did i just asked for it to be cut to 12.5'' and a 1/2'' screw cut. It will do 3/4'' @50M regularly. I suspect it will do better but ive only tried a few brands of ammo thorugh it as ive still got 1000+ winnies which it doesnt particularly like but it seems to like geco(there the best accuracy wise ive tried so far) only other ammo ive tried so far is cci subs which were good but with some fliyers which is just the QC of the ammo

Quote Originally Posted by shootist View Post
    The first question to ask is, why shorten the barrel? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Why not? it makes it more pointable better point of ballence better velocity etc

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    Why not? it makes it more pointable better point of ballence better velocity etc
    As long as you've figured out a reason, then why not indeed. Having said that, you will not gain an increase in velocity by shortening your barrel to 12.5". The generally accepted end of burn length on a subsonic .22 is about 16".

The ammunition you have mentioned is all around the cack end, IMO, although Geco are good for the money. Try SK, or RWS Target Rifle and you will improve your group size. Some rifles take as much as a box of 50 to readjust to a different make, depending on the make and the rifle. Also, I don't have the measurements to hand, but I think you would need to check before fitting a folding stock on a 10/22 with a 12.5" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist View Post
    As long as you've figured out a reason, then why not indeed. Having said that, you will not gain an increase in velocity by shortening your barrel to 12.5". The generally accepted end of burn length on a subsonic .22 is about 16".

The ammunition you have mentioned is all around the cack end, IMO, although Geco are good for the money. Try SK, or RWS Target Rifle and you will improve your group size. Some rifles take as much as a box of 50 to readjust to a different make, depending on the make and the rifle. Also, I don't have the measurements to hand, but I think you would need to check before fitting a folding stock on a 10/22 with a 12.5" barrel.
    Im sure ive read over on UKV dave wilde saying that the .22 burns all its powder inside 9''. Your correct the ammo ive used so far is a the budget end but its all i could get at the time and my FAC is away for renewal so i wont be seeing it for months to come!! But when i do ill try some other brands of ammo in her.