Thread: bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical (my take)

funkedup is offline Surely you can do better than that!!!

bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical (my take)

After using a 4200 6-24x40sf for over 2 years

Received this scope today, but I am still waiting for my 30mm Theoben mounts.

First impressions
    I hate the bikini covers, they don't actually fit the scope correctly, these will be replaced by Butler Creek as I think a scope of this quality should have better.

The one I have, has a black embossed logo in the SF and also black text around the ring on the objective lens.

The scope is true mildot at 10x magnification, the same as my previous scope.

This scope parallaxes down to 10yds with a smoothly operating focus wheel, it is a good size and there seems to be plenty of space between each marking from 10yds to 75 for FAC users, the larger of the spaces being from 10yds to 40 and even a decent gap up to 60yds. I do wonder if this scope would benefit from a slightly larger SF wheel, so, I am going to be getting a turret made up, the same as the other 2 tactical turrets to enable easier operation, this shall just sit over the original.

The turrets are tactical on this scope, whereas they were not on my previous bushnell, although they were finger adjustable underneath the caps.

Each click on these turrets seems smooth and precise with a nice click to stop, they feel very positive and will be easy to count adjustments. The 30mm tube on this scope allows for more adjustment for windage and elevation, and possibly will allow more light to be transmitted during low light operation, I will see how this compares to my previous scope at a later stage.

The scope is the usual Elite quality, very good overall finish and it feels very robust, it certainly has a good standard of finishing and engineering, the magnification ring turns freely and smoothly, no better or worse than my previous scope, there is larger gaps on the magnification between the 4x & 6x magnification allowing for finer tuning the magnification if using a nv add-on, which I intend to do with this scope at a later stage. Also, the 2.5x magnification and 10yd parallax settings should give more flexibility when using a NV add-on.

This scope also has a fast focus ocular bell as opposed to the 4200 elites adustable ocular lens, I want to have a play with this and see if altering this setting will adjust my POI to the point of having to re-zero after every adjustment. I never really found the need to re-zero the 4200 after adjusting the ocular lens, although these alterations were usually minimal.

the operation of the fast focus ocular lens is faultless, perfectly smooth with enough torque needed to eliminate accidental movement. There is no play in this area and it feels very solid, I am happy with this as I am always a little dubious of them.

The objective lens is set reasonably deeply into the objective bell (around 17mm) slightly deeper than that of the 4200, I see this as a plus point, helping save the lenses from dirt and glare. The scope does also come complete with a 77mm (approx) sunshade, although as I will be using this as a hunting scope, I cant really see me ever needing to use it.

The ret, appears to be a little thinner (maybe it isn't) than the 4200, it has the same bronze look to it, if the scope is subject to light through the ocular lens as the 4200, I like this, maybe I would prefer it silver?

This scope is on the Second Focal Plane, which is a shame, it would be nice if it was on the First, but saying that, there are advantages to both and I am used to my 4200 which was also Second.

I think the 42mm Objective lens keeps the scope in proportion from a visual aspect, especially as there is a significant increase in tube size from the 4200, still, with this magnification it is still a very compact scope although around 1/2" longer than the 4200 and a little on the heavier side, but I think the weight just sums up the difference in quality.

Just looking through the scope in the office at 16x mag and the SF set to 10yds, I can see there is much more chance of clearly take close range shots, with enough blurring of the background to highlight the smallest of variance in distance. Obviously the lower the magnification goes, the less this will be noticeable, but I will try this set at my usual magnification setting for hunting, which is 8x.

Even at 16x mag the scope is bright and crisp, even under my office lighting, which has limited daylight and is pretty subtle in comparison to being outside.

So, until I have got it mounted (tomorrow) I cant do any real in depth testing, but my first thought are, I am happy to have made the change from the 4200 6-24x40sf to the 6500 2.5-16x42 Tactical, I hope it compares well under low light and lamplight and is as robust as the 4200 as I never suffered a loss of zero with it.

So far, so good!
    Wanted - Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical

glad your happy so far mate, hopefully you will like it more and more wiv use, mine has become my favourite scope as she is such a good allrounder from 2.5x for 12 yard ferals (also find i can see the target better than with my zeiss conquest in the dim lighting of the stables) also had plenty of long range rabbits of the bipod on 10x
    not tried it wiv an add on but its the bees knees wiv a led lenser, enjoy

Well, I got it on the gun and zeroed this evening at my primary range of 17yds for my .177

First I optically centred the scope, setting both turrets at the centre of their travel.
    Mounted the scope, using a small level on both the action of my rapid and the top turret, getting it as near to plumb as possible.

I took the first shot and was around 5 clicks high, but perfect on the L/R, I moved the scope down 5 clicks and bingo! A nice 5 shot group.

This was carried out with the highest mag of 16x and the sf read the correct distance as far as I could tell.

I then adjusted the mag to 8x and fired a 5 shot group, with no change in POI, this I was happy about, I then ramped up the sf to 35yds, still aiming at the 17yd target and still managed a tidy 5 shot group, although not as tight as the first two, as the target was severely out of focus. But I am still happy with my initial findingS.

Out with it tomorrow night for a bit more familiarisation, then hopefully a little hunting if everything is ok and I am ok with the aim points.

Looks good so far

Well, managed to take it out for some testing yesterday.

After using my initial zero, I have noticed that there is a slight change of POI at my ranges from using my 4200, but this was to be expected, so after a little practice, I was able to shoot small stones comfortably at ranges from 15-40yds rested.

I was quite fortunate with the weather yesterday, as the evening was bright with a fair amount of sun, but as it got darker, the cloud appeared. So I could test for white out under those conditions. I am pleased to say, the scope didn't suffer from any yesterday and it performed nicely when set at 8x with a parallax setting of 30yds, the image was sharp, bright and crisp from edge to edge.

Now with the light fading, I decided to take a mooch across to a part of my permission where there was woodland, I then had a quick scan about amongst the shadows, this proved to be positive, with a bright image with plenty of contrast, sometimes definition can be lost through the optics under these conditions, but this scope is certainly better than the 4200 in these conditions, although the 4200 was very good.
    The one gripe I have is the ret can be tricky to see, it is a real shame there isn't an illuminated version.

You have to be more particular with the head alignment on this scope, otherwise you find you get a 3/4 moon type picture, which is good as it forces you into the correct position minimising parallax error.

I now moved to another permission that is open fields surrounded by hedge rows, I wandered down the middle of the field, scanning the hedge row at around 80yds, it was almost dark by this point, so much so, if I had wanted to spot anything with the naked eye, I would have needed to use the lamp, but I could easily pick out rabbits against the hedge through the scope. Unfortunately they were out of range, but they will keep for another day.

then, lamp time, Awesome, there isn't much more I can say really. Used with my Lightforce 140, with red filter and dimmer, it is like it is in daylight, but red, I haven't yet changed the magnification for this, but I will do on my next outing and see how it copes up there at 16x

Nice scope, am I happy with it – HELL YEAH!

Great glass

I have 2 6500s one model the same as yours and also the x30 model. Really pleased with both and excellent glass for the money. Only difference I noticed between these and the Zeiss equivalent was slightly less FOV there aint much between them for clarity at low light.

Herx77 is offline "Instruments of the light"
    With the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 I personnally found some parallax at around 8-15 yds and around 41-48yds,but if you take the time to ensure sight line is central no problems.
    Compared to the Elite 3200 10 -40 fixed, brightness is comparable, the 3200 edging it. Sharpness is edged by the 6500 and where it excells is where you have one of the back lit contrassy targets ( that are set and so fond of ) at MAD,the 6500 allowing you to see the kill area where the 3200 struggles a bit!
    Both scopes are very good,although on the 3200 the dark ring area that appears around the sight picture when looking through the scope ( eye relief, used to avoid parallax problems ) remains even and crispy dark,the 6500 is slightly less so.
    When adjusting the parallex I found the adjustment markings were a little out,but as I use a photographers starburst to set the sharpness of the parallex accurately at the range I want it,I don't take much notice of them anyway.
    As per the 3200 once the turrets are set they are mostly forgotten as I rarely need to fiddle with them! except move the turret(tacticle) covers so that they are arranged at the zero point.
    The reason for that was we had a bout in the past where someone found it funny to twist any scope adjusters they came across, unfortunately they were not caught and shown the error of their ways . It stopped but I found it was good practice to set the turrets up this way,and would show if any fiddling had taken place.
    The 6500 is a good scope but if you do not want to spend that sort of money on a scope the fixed power 3200 10-40 is no slouch and only loses out on a few minor points,but if you are competitive those are what makes the difference between winning and making up the numbers..
    HERX77 .
    Last edited by Herx77; 29-10-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Fighter against the "Dark Arts" A stranger in an even stranger land.
    GC2+Leupold 14.4-34x45
    AA400 fac receiver+sidewinder 8.5-34x52
    Weihrauch HW77k fiddled with and doing what it wants to +Zeiss 3-9x36.
    Weihrauch HW90k
    Weihrauch HW97k learning from above,now sporting a Maccarri 77/97 target stock..+Bushnell 3200.Go on shoot one you know you want to
    Daystate mk3 RT Delux + bushnell 4200 8-24x 40Does what it should again & again.
    Fwb 124 + Optima was good is good!
    Webley Vulcan.

have to agree they are great scopes . shame they didn't do them in a half mildot ir ret

A very well written & informative review. Well done!

ATB

Ken

I have to agree with that, I would have like an IR ret.

Also, I hate these long sunshades, I would like the option of a honeycomb sunshade.

hi trev, a 4200 not running on 10x, more like 12x, if not more, thats y the 12x is in red and the others are not,
    if that letting more light in on the same mag as my 4200, u had a nv scope fitted, as u no its been used all summer working passed the sun set 4 a hour, since i got it off u, al

pukka

good write up trev :-)

Cheers Paul

Al, I know that 4200 is a good scope.

I have now traded this scope for 2 scopes, as I had a gun sitting there doing nowt and needed to be topped off.

So, back on my old gun I have a 4200 6-24x40sf I was confident with putting one of these back on the Rapid as I am so used to the optics.

Looking through the glass of the 4200, I wouldn't say the 6500 is much brighter, but if you use it on the lower end of the mag settings, it certainly has its advantages, especially for add on NV.

One thing I didn't realise though, was the size of the 6500 as I didn't compare them side by side until recently, but it is a lump in comparison to the 4200 or my 3200 10x40

on the other hand size wise - the 4.5-30 seems more compact than alot of other high mag scopes.
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals they wouldn't be made out of meat.....