Thread: SIG vs S&W vs Ruger .22LR

SIG vs S&W vs Ruger .22LR

Hi,
    new to .22lr, been shooting larger stuff for many years.
    I'm looking for a .22LR that I can use mainly for vermin control (needs to run with subsonic and a moderator) and also for a bit of club target shooting, possibly getting into practical / mini rifle.
    I've never been much into the military look, so it was to be a tricked out 10/22, but the S&W M&P15-22 and the SIG 522 look like they might have some added ruggedness and flexibility for mounting lamps / sights etc.
    After advice on the build quality, reliabilty and accuracy of these vs the Ruger, especially with low-velocity ammo.
    Cheers

Afternoon,

I have a S&W mp15-22... to me this is a very good little rifle with no complaints at all.. its fired all ammo I have thrown at it no question. The rifle has a good feel to it and is capable of fitting any type of mounts, lamps accessories etc... it is a must in my opinion for a 22 plinker also makes fun for rabbiting especially with the fast self loading and high round capacity for making target acquisitions. many hours of fun!

happy hunting :-)

I have a few 10/22s, among them a carbine and a 10/22T.

My take is that the 10/22 was designed to assembled from a wide variety of parts and function fine. This means that you have a 99.99% chance of getting a rifle that functions perfectly out of the box. However, the trigger pull and accuracy leave something to be desired.

Where the 10/22 really shines is that it's totally modular. They can be upgraded and modified by the user. If you're handy, you can do a complete trigger job that rivals some of the best custom triggers. A pillar bedding job and a few strips of bicyle innertube will allow you to tune the harmonics of the rifle to specifics of the rounds you're shooting. Basically, several million of the 10/22 are in circulation, and the expertise is available to make them tack drivers for not much money. Check out the 10/22 forums, there's a lot of institutional knowledge on how to get the most out of your rifle.

The M&P and Sig 522 are fine rifles, and they'll likely be more accurate out of the box than the 10/22. But they're less suitable for accuracy enhancing modifications.

Good luck!

-John