Thread: trigger adjustment

trigger adjustment

can the trigger pull weight be adjusted on a late model webley mk3?,if so can someone describe the procedure? any help appreciated.
    Last edited by isobar; 18-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Any use?

Anti-clockwise to reduce the weight I believe. HTH

mk 3 trigger

thanks for the reply, yep after releasing locking screw on side. have now tried this and trigger still seems heavy but to be fair i only really noticed after using a fbw sport which has quite a nice trigger.i would be very interested in other peoples experiences with this trigger.

It's a very basic trigger, with the trigger blade being one end of a lever which acts directly on the sear.

There are a number of Mk3 owners at Melbourne Marksmen, if you get no further response I'll ask them what is the best you can hope for.

much appreciated, recon they must take some getting used to,makes it a bit difficult to know when it`s going to off.

edbear2 Guest
    Hi, if you look at this;

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...&cat=Mk3+Rifle

And this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...57623212067613

You will see the trigger / sear mechanism is similar in many ways to a BSA pre-war...the "adjustment" screw actually is tapered and just disengages the sear (same effect as pulling the trigger) as it is screwed in and the effective diameter increases.

You should be able to get a crisp breaking trigger that is predicable, but these designs just will not get down to the weights / feel of a compound lever two stage job. That is not to say they are bad, just different, and need a bit of practise to get used to.

Also, because of the design, it is not a good idea to try and go really light on the pull, as if the piston rod / sear notches are not in perfect order, or if the piston rod is slightly loose, then it can "slip" and cause both an accidental discharge, or even chip or shatter the sear face, which is hardened and tempered so fairly brittle in respect of shocks.

If possible (if the trigger feels "gritty") , remove, or get someone who knows if you prefer, the trigger and sear and give it a gentle clean up with a fine stone..ONLY do this if you know what you are doing!...this can transform the "break"point.

Also, try gentle increasing pressure on the trigger, whilst keeping it on target, until you get a feel for the pull weight and break point, after a couple of hundred shots it will be second nature, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

ATB, Ed

ed, thats interesting, only had about 50 shots and i found keeping steady while pulling to be a bit of a skill to be aquired,thanks very much for your detailed post. i will practice,getting to know a trigger is obviously not to be taken for granted and i think there could be a tendency to flinch a bit at break point. not shot at all for many years since farm days when i was a regular. it clearly is not something you can just pick up where you left off. i`m a far cry from pellet on pellet at 25 yards and don`t expect to get to that standard, just nice consistant groups. ps. was using bulldog pellets now aa field the latter shooting about 2 inch higher at 15 yards? atb john

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by isobar View Post
    ed, thats interesting, only had about 50 shots and i found keeping steady while pulling to be a bit of a skill to be aquired,thanks very much for your detailed post. i will practice,getting to know a trigger is obviously not to be taken for granted and i think there could be a tendency to flinch a bit at break point. not shot at all for many years since farm days when i was a regular. it clearly is not something you can just pick up where you left off. i`m a far cry from pellet on pellet at 25 yards and don`t expect to get to that standard, just nice consistant groups. ps. was using bulldog pellets now aa field the latter shooting about 2 inch higher at 15 yards? atb john
    Hi John, a guy at our target club has a cracking .177 MK, one of the most air tight I have ever seen, and pellet selection makes a huge difference in both power and accuracy (in this gun at least), we only shoot at 6 yards, (bell target), but changing from eley wasps to the league standard pellet (aa field), made the gun noticeably harsher to shoot, with almost a piston contact sound, and it was running about 1 lb in energy less.

It may be an idea to ask which pellet people on here find to work well on a separate thread, in fact I will do it right now for you

Best regards, Ed

you`re a gent, few replies already

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    Hi, if you look at this;

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...&cat=Mk3+Rifle

And this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...57623212067613

You will see the trigger / sear mechanism is similar in many ways to a BSA pre-war...the "adjustment" screw actually is tapered and just disengages the sear (same effect as pulling the trigger) as it is screwed in and the effective diameter increases.

You should be able to get a crisp breaking trigger that is predicable, but these designs just will not get down to the weights / feel of a compound lever two stage job. That is not to say they are bad, just different, and need a bit of practise to get used to.

Also, because of the design, it is not a good idea to try and go really light on the pull, as if the piston rod / sear notches are not in perfect order, or if the piston rod is slightly loose, then it can "slip" and cause both an accidental discharge, or even chip or shatter the sear face, which is hardened and tempered so fairly brittle in respect of shocks.

If possible (if the trigger feels "gritty") , remove, or get someone who knows if you prefer, the trigger and sear and give it a gentle clean up with a fine stone..ONLY do this if you know what you are doing!...this can transform the "break"point.

Also, try gentle increasing pressure on the trigger, whilst keeping it on target, until you get a feel for the pull weight and break point, after a couple of hundred shots it will be second nature, and you may be pleasantly surprised.

ATB, Ed
    managed to get trigger quite nice and crisp without being too light.very difficult to get any sort of groups today even at 10 yards, wind very strong and gusty, will wait for better conditions atb