Thread: Webley MK3...best pellet for the use of ?

edbear2 Guest

Webley MK3...best pellet for the use of ?

As per my recent answer elsewhere, what do all you Webley guys use please??????

Whatever old pellets are lying around - with open sights, the dieseling and that heavy trigger the pellet is the last of your problems
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Whatever old pellets are lying around - with open sights, the dieseling and that heavy trigger the pellet is the last of your problems
    But you can't dispute that the Webley mk3 is a beautiful rifle

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I was shooting pretty small groups in .177 with some rws hollowpoints the other day with a 50's mk3

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    But you can't dispute that the Webley mk3 is a beautiful rifle

John
    No you cant, but Webley copied a good rifle to start with The German Diana 46.

webley mk3

my old .22 that I have had from new likes eley wasp 5.56, the old wasps not these new ones.
    MK1 7/12 14" CZ barrel. , Dustin mod.Kevg reg. Bb valve , titanium tube, bushy legend. MK2 177,Kevg reg.silent pip,MK4 trigger,Bucketboy shroud.ssg spring, Nikon monarch

Wasps it likes

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fat man View Post
    No you cant, but Webley copied a good rifle to start with The German Diana 46.

Hey up Dave

Didn't the Diana have the loading tap on the other side though?? (The correct side for a right hander )

There was also talk of the BSA Airsporter being a loose copy (with a few alterations) of a Falke mod90??

When you look at the underlever arrangement, it's almost identical

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Another vote for Wasps (.177). And there was me thinking I might have to apologise for that choice, but it seems a lot of others use them too. Mind you ... I have not done long range accuracy testing with them. Also Marksman.
    Related: chrono'd an .177 Osprey recently. Definitely preferred Wasps ... modern stuff was quite down on fps and ftlbs. Defiants were not liked despite their low weight. Wadcutter Geco was OK but not as good as the Wasp.
    Cheers, Phil

Because the old Wasps are impossible to get, mine's on a diet of H&N FTT 5.55.
    Iirc, my Supertarget likes JSB in 4.5.
    ATB,
    yana

Those new Milbro Caledonian Ultras are usually a good replacement for old-style Wasps, I shoot them in my .22 Mk3 (late 60's vintage).

following on from ed`s post on a related thread,i also found aa field made my 177 harsh to shoot, had been using some old bulldog pellets which seemed better. the aas actually shot noticably high on the target,will try them again with a good lean so i can compare accuracy more scientifically.i am only using gun in back garden at ranges to 20 yards but was suprised that a pellet change should make the rifle feel harsh. it is a lovely looking rifle in my opinion, sometime i will get 22 version with the two stage trigger

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hey up Dave

Didn't the Diana have the loading tap on the other side though?? (The correct side for a right hander )

There was also talk of the BSA Airsporter being a loose copy (with a few alterations) of a Falke mod90??

When you look at the underlever arrangement, it's almost identical

Cheers, John
    yes John 100% correct, but with theAirsporter the Fake is the copy
    . Beutifully made though.

Newmarket, Suffolk. More than a one horse town!
    My .22 likes Wasps, even the newer ones, but in 5.6. Milbro, Caledonian and Select seem fine, and happily reasonably priced too! My Supertarget gets on just fine with older pellets like the above but also is very good with RWS Supermag (flat head 9.3gn). Its amazingly accurate for such an old and simple gun.
    I came to these Webleys late and after many Airsporters and the like. No return for me, these are much better made and easier to work on. The short cocking lever is a trial for some of the more lightweight of my friends, but being built like the Hulk means no bother to me!
    Another surprise with my Supertarget was how fast it spits out the pellets. Much faster than I expected with a rotten washer and now with that all done, its close to 700fps. In a target gun! The trigger is not easy to set right, but it can be done and then you have a sweet and handsome rifle. Whats not to like?
    Join BASC. You know it makes sense!