Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rat gun

Rat gun

Hi I am thinking of getting a new rifle for rat shooting only.I am at present using my daystate but find it heavy and over the top for rats. I'm only shooting them at around 20 yards away.I have had a look at a Crossman ratcatcher and I won't one.Is there any one out there with any views on this gun.thanks clive

Quote Originally Posted by beano1966 View Post
    Hi I am thinking of getting a new rifle for rat shooting only.I am at present using my daystate but find it heavy and over the top for rats. I'm only shooting them at around 20 yards away.I have had a look at a Crossman ratcatcher and I won't one.Is there any one out there with any views on this gun.thanks clive
    Hi clive, iv had both and i would get the king ratcatcher on the fact that you can scope it properly..the normal ratcatcher has a plastic breach with no scope grooves. you have to use pro blocks which spin on the barrel. and also the king is a little bit more powerfull atb russ.
    Air Arms tx200 .177 mtc mamba lite 4-16x44
    Daystate platinum .177 Mtc viper 10x44
    Daystate airwolf MVT .177..Mtc mamba lite 3-12x44...meon valley airgun club.

Thanks for the reply.I don't want to spend much as it's only for rats and isn't the king rat twice the money as the ratcatcher.also as I'm only shooting at close range the scope it comes with should be okay.as for power I've done some research and you can as I believe up the power on it by changing the hammer spring.The cost of a new ratcatcher is only £130.thats about all I am willing to pay

£130 will buy you a used ratty off here with all the mods done, metal breech, modded valve, springs etc. Resist the urge to buy new as you'll end up doing all the mods yourself eventually and it works out expensive in the long run.
    Modded Ratty. 22

Yes this is true about what you say about getting a second hand one but with all second had items you take a chance of it not being as described ie leaks,power to low and also no guarantee.if there was one local second hand then yes I would jump at the chance but as yet I can't find one

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Yes this is true about what you say about getting a second hand one but with all second had items you take a chance of it not being as described ie leaks,power to low and also no guarantee.if there was one local second hand then yes I would jump at the chance but as yet I can't find one
    They are so easy to work on mate, little leaks or slightly low power is no big deal at all.
    Any manufacturers warranty would be void once you start modding it anyway. And you will mod it
    Good deals with these members

ratcatchers are not very good
    and you will be wasting your hard earned getting one
    get a 2nd hand single shot ultra for a few more quid nice easy carry
    and will outlast the ratty it will last forever
    or
    a 2nd hand springer like a lightning

I've read all the reviews I can about the ratcatcher and I can't find a problem with them.they are so light and easy to work on and half the price of a second hand bsa.I don't want a all sing gun as I have one I just want a rat gun that's why I'm after one

Rat gun

Have you thought about SMK QB78 good gun for the money

Had a smk 79.not bad easy to work on but major seal problems.must of replaced them 3 times in the year I had it.

If you want a good airgun for rats try a .22 or .25 fitted with a JSR red dot sight...In a word `DEADLY`.

I've read all the reviews I can about the ratcatcher and I can't find a problem with them.they are so light and easy to work on and half the price of a second hand bsa.I don't want a all sing gun as I have one I just want a rat gun that's why I'm after one
    If you count the reviews on this thread I can't see one that is in favour of the gun, they are all suggesting you do anything but go for a Ratcatcher.

Personally I don't like any of them due to plasticky construction & dubious shooting consistency.

I second Rocket Launcher, get a cheap springer. Doesn't need to be a BSA, maybe a used Gamo or similar - .22 of course...

Regards

If you type in ratcatcher on YouTube you can see not only how to modify the power but also how to bring it up.As I said in the first post I have a daystate mrk 3 for real shooting.

ratty

got a king ratty converted to run on HPA, which has a reg,quickfill, and a custom carbon shroud/silencer, only use it in my barn for rats using hobbys it spits them out @ 650fps for 11ftlb and is very accurate and consistent and light, rats hate it
    MK1 7/12 14" CZ barrel. , Dustin mod.Kevg reg. Bb valve , titanium tube, bushy legend. MK2 177,Kevg reg.silent pip,MK4 trigger,Bucketboy shroud.ssg spring, Nikon monarch

Now that's what I want