Thread: Please help ( air arms s400)

Cool Please help ( air arms s400)

Hi , iv recently go an air arms s400 and want to fit qd studs to it as you all probably know air arms dont provide these as standard , i know how to fit them but am nervous that it could split the stock or damage it in some way as i have the thumbhole model the forend of the stock appears quite thin , any advice , tips or news on your experiences doing this would be really appreciated
    Thanks
    JP

Hi JP,

Welcome to the mad house...

Right, first thing, remove the action out of the stock, this is a must or you will end up drilling into the cylinder, and you do not want to do that or you will have a bad day....

Next mark out where you want the studs, for the one at the butt end do not put it to close to the end, two things, one there is a screw from the butt plate into the end that you may hit when you drill the hole (gues how I know that ) and second screwing in the stud to close to the end can increase the risk of splitting the wood. The stud hole at the other end, again not to close to the end, allow room to fit a bi-pod just in case you ever want to use one.

Now the size of the drill, I can't remember what the size is, do not make it to small or again you could split the wood. I used a scrap bit of wood and tried a few sizes until I got the right one.

Take your time, make sure you drill the holes straight and you will be fine.

Dave
    It’s sometimes best to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid rather than open your mouth and dispel all doubt…

i am pretty sure you can get the bands to fit.
    mine came with the front stud fitted. like you i would not like to try to fit one on the butt.
    seem to recall you can can get the band to fit the cylinder and butt. no need for drilling.
    thew away all my mags, i am sure it was in one of those.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by max headroom View Post
    i am pretty sure you can get the bands to fit.
    mine came with the front stud fitted. like you i would not like to try to fit one on the butt.
    seem to recall you can can get the band to fit the cylinder and butt. no need for drilling.
    thew away all my mags, i am sure it was in one of those.

what the ....
    the defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors
    Henri Bregne 1837 - 1899

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ing-studs-s400

the only thing i would add is , butt end 2" from the rubber and if you are not going to take them out again glue them in , i used "no more nails "
    Last edited by skygrowler; 23-05-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    the defect of equality is that we only desire it with our superiors
    Henri Bregne 1837 - 1899

Put a piece of tape where you intend to drill, and make a pilot hole first using a smaller drill.

Steve C.
    AirArms S400k L/H (.177)BTAS, tuned, AirArms S410k L/H (.177) walnut, BTAS tuned, AA MPR .177 L/H walnut (STOLEN) and...L/H EV2
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    Hi JP,

Welcome to the mad house...

Right, first thing, remove the action out of the stock, this is a must or you will end up drilling into the cylinder, and you do not want to do that or you will have a bad day....

Next mark out where you want the studs, for the one at the butt end do not put it to close to the end, two things, one there is a screw from the butt plate into the end that you may hit when you drill the hole (gues how I know that ) and second screwing in the stud to close to the end can increase the risk of splitting the wood. The stud hole at the other end, again not to close to the end, allow room to fit a bi-pod just in case you ever want to use one.

Now the size of the drill, I can't remember what the size is, do not make it to small or again you could split the wood. I used a scrap bit of wood and tried a few sizes until I got the right one.

Take your time, make sure you drill the holes straight and you will be fine.

Dave
    A 4mm drill bit is fine,use some pva glue on thread job`s a good un

Red face

Great thanks for all the advice and the welcome to the forum , ill give it a go tonight , hopefully itll all go to plan
    Cheers all
    JP