Thread: Refurb Classics over priced?....

Refurb Classics over priced?....

Is it me or do there seem to be a lot of classic air rifles coming on to the the market in "to good to be true" condition recently?

I've seen a couple of pre-war BSA's on the on-line markets recently which looked liked they had been completely re-blued and had the stocks stripped and varnished. This work looked to have been done to a very high standard, but none the less identifiable as a refurb.

All of these adverts made much of the seemingly mint condition of the gun, but there was no mention of refurbishment, and of course, top dollar prices were being asked.

Has else noticed this trend or am I just paranoid?

Clive
    "This doll is extremely dangerous, it has voodoo qualities"

Quote Originally Posted by Smithfire View Post
    Is it me or do there seem to be a lot of classic air rifles coming on to the the market in "to good to be true" condition recently?

I've seen a couple of pre-war BSA's on the on-line markets recently which looked liked they had been completely re-blued and had the stocks stripped and varnished. This work looked to have been done to a very high standard, but none the less identifiable as a refurb.

All of these adverts made much of the seemingly mint condition of the gun, but there was no mention of refurbishment, and of course, top dollar prices were being asked.

Has else noticed this trend or am I just paranoid?

Clive
    yes Clive seen a couple like that, and was offered a mark 2 service a few weeks back at a truley eye wattering price, it did look nice but it wasnt mint and it looked to sterile to me.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about FM, you can't easily fake 70-100 years, even if the gun has been little used. I worry that there are 1, newish collectors out there who wont pick up on a refurb, and then pay top wack. 2, that then starts a trend in unscrupulous dealers routinely refinishing guns and then inflating the price, and 3, that then having a knock on effect on the price of all other vintage guns that are genuine.

Clive

Maybe a guide to spotting a reblue? There are lots of photos on the web of good original examples to get a feel for what they look like.
    Reblues are more black blue, have often either been over polished to disguise pitting, or had a 'can't be bothered' matt finish dunk in the tank.
    Engravings/stampings are shallower/softer, the faint machining marks disappear.
    Original blues are often a bit brownish in sunlight, even on good examples. It's hard to buy from a photo and description, I have bought things that were 'definately not reblued, all original finish' that have been obvious over polished previously heavy pitted 'silk purse out of a pigs ear attempts' when they have arrived.
    On woodwork, it's hard to replicate the polish/patina of an old used stock. I look for 'spectral sheen' ,which is the way the varnish reflects light Look at wear. And colour of course. Again look at pictures online of the type of gun you are looking for and it will give you something to so on.

I think it's often the cost or effort of doing the reblue relative to the fairly low value of the airguns that has preserved examples so far. Woodwork can be a different matter as often people will 'improve' their stocks with a bit of DIY refinishing. Or there was the whole craze (it it still going on) of stripping and oiling stocks in the 80's.
    Last edited by Prewar; 27-05-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Another thing to look for for is wear under the finish. If you can see scratches or scarring that could the result of deep pitting under the finish, you are looking at a refurb.

I agree, these refinished rifles can never be described as mint or even Very Good, although people do. In fact, I don't believe they belong in the usual condition scale at all as the wear is not natural. Best described as refinished. That says it all to many collectors.

I would always ask the question if buying on line and obtain a caveat that the rifle or pistol can be returned in the same condition as sent if not found to be original. An honest seller will describe the arm to the best of their ability, as most on here do but someone trying to pass off a refurb as genuine won't want to give you this. Caveat Emptor.

I'll get back in my box now.

John

Good points, well made...