Thread: Airsporter Mk 4 information please.

Airsporter Mk 4 information please.

Can any of the BBS Airsporter experts advise if the Mk4 has the same type of automatic tap opening mechanism as the Mk1 and Mk2 please?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Looking at the diagram on the Chambers sight it looks like its a lever trap thats on it.

http://www.gunspares.co.uk/shopdispl...=24686&cat=Mk4

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    Can any of the BBS Airsporter experts advise if the Mk4 has the same type of automatic tap opening mechanism as the Mk1 and Mk2 please?
    No,the automatic opening tap was only a feature of the MK1 & MK2 and was not present on later MK's of Airsporter.ATB

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    No,the automatic opening tap was only a feature of the MK1 & MK2 and was not present on later MK's of Airsporter.ATB
    Thanks for the info.

I am looking for a Mk 4 to help fill one of the gaps in my Airsporter collection, and I was looking for any distinguishing features to help identify it from a Mk 5 or Mk 6 ( as I don't have these either).

I am guessing there never was a Mk3 - just a jump straight from the Mk2 to a Mk 4 ?

Thanks for the info.

I am looking for a Mk 4 to help fill one of the gaps in my Airsporter collection, and I was looking for any distinguishing features to help identify it from a Mk 5 or Mk 6 ( as I don't have these either).

I am guessing there never was a Mk3 - just a jump straight from the Mk2 to a Mk 4 ?

There was a MK3 but only made for a year (1969)and rarely seen. I have seen only seen 2 and heard of 2-3 more in the last 10 years. It has the same tap as the mk2 Airsporter but it is not auto opening.

The Mk3 Airsporter had a very ugly square fronted stock, I presume it was dropped becaise it was so ugly compared to it's predesessors..

Also, I seem to recall that some mk3 actions were fitted to the remainder of the stock (of stocks ) just to use them up, they have been dubbed the 'transitional' mk3's...

Zooma- do you have all the Airsporters, including the Stutzens, 'S', RB and Centenary??

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    The Mk3 Airsporter had a very ugly square fronted stock, I presume it was dropped becaise it was so ugly compared to it's predesessors..

Also, I seem to recall that some mk3 actions were fitted to the remainder of the stock (of stocks ) just to use them up, they have been dubbed the 'transitional' mk3's...

Zooma- do you have all the Airsporters, including the Stutzens, 'S', RB and Centenary??

Cheers, John
    Hi John,

No I don't have them all yet - but I have made a good start - even though the Mk 1 could be improved on as it has a nice stock but needs a new coat of blue and an MOT !.

I have the Stutzen .177, Stutzen RV .22, Centenary .22, Mk2 .22 and Mk1 .22 so far.

Cheers, John
    Hi John,

No I don't have them all yet - but I have made a good start - though the Mk 1 could be improved on as it has a nice stock but needs a new coat of blue and an MOT !.

I have the Stutzen .177, Stutzen RV .22, Centenary .22, Mk2 .22 and Mk1 .22 so far.

Hi John,

No I don't have them all yet - but I have made a good start - though the Mk 1 could be improved on as it has a nice stock but needs a new coat of blue and an MOT !.

Well you got a good start with the Centenary and the Stutties

I have a few but nothing to commemorate 100 years

Mk1/2

A Stuttie..

RB2k at bottom, S at the top..

Cheers, John
    Last edited by johnbaz; 29-05-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: cuz eye carnt spel :(
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I found a pic of my old Centenary the other day. Sold it a few years back. I think I would prefer an early MK1 any day! PS don't pick on the MK3's I think they are nice

Centenary: http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/...t=PICT0262.jpg

Well you got a giid start with the Centenary and the Stutties

I have a few but nothing to commemorate 100 years

Mk1/2

A Stuttie..

RB2k at bottom, S at the top..

Cheers, John
    Nice collection John - I see you have multiples of some - and they all look very good. My Mk 1 is not as good as any of yours, my Mk 2 is pretty good and the two Stutts and the Century are as good as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    I found a pic of my old Centenary the other day. Sold it a few years back. I think I would prefer an early MK1 any day! PS don't pick on the MK3's I think they are nice

Centenary: http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/...t=PICT0262.jpg
    I like my Cent - but for a special edition I have to say the bag they included is very poor - the hard plastic handles become brittle and fall off - even without actually using them!........I will glue the plastic handles back together for a future custodian to have in a plastic zip-seal bag - but they are not usable and should have been replaced by BSA in my opinion as they spoil the image of the 100 year celebration product.

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    In fairness to BSA, the rifle is the important thing and unless the Centenary is destroyed, it should be around in 100+ years of it's manufacture - look at other BSAs that have survived that long and are still giving pleasure.
    Have to say the Mk1 is my favourite Airsporter and probably always will be!

atb
    Airsporterman

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    In fairness to BSA, the rifle is the important thing and unless the Centenary is destroyed, it should be around in 100+ years of it's manufacture - look at other BSAs that have survived that long and are still giving pleasure.
    Have to say the Mk1 is my favourite Airsporter and probably always will be!

atb
    Airsporterman
    I do agree with you - but only to a point regarding the Cent. The gun was sold as a package that included this expensive carry case with no option to buy the excellent rifle without it, and so it is reasonable to expect it to function without the plastic handles rotting off (even without any use).

Even collectors that do not actually shoot their treasures should not have to see these handles rot away in the box (like mine did). I shoot my Cent and love it - but part of the deal ( and therefore the value) includes the carry case, and given that they are all failing in this way I think BSA should offer to replace these faulty non functional handles with something that will last and do their excellent commemorative masterpiece justice.

I do agree about the Mk 1 though, and very much hope to find an excellent example some time soon. My own Mk 1 is not a faultless example, but it does have a nice stock with no splits or delamination and I really like it enough to never want to part with it - but a smarter example to go with it would be even better!