Thread: Stutzen refurb

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Stutzen refurb

Ok, so it's a gamo one, but it's collectable to me! (plus you guys should know the most about this)

The stock is beech and a bit tired, surface scratches, peeling lacquer/varnish, and I would like to improve it.
    I'm thinking just have at it with wet and dry, avoid the chequering and varnish afterwards. Is that right? If so, what grit papers and what varnish and where would I get it? Do I go right back to the wood or just past the blemishes?

What the hell! Anyone wanna do it for me?! Only joking. Probably.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

the best way i have found (some will not agree ) is to use Nitromors to strip the stock back to bare wood, this will get everything cleaned back including the chequering, us a damp cloth and you wife's iron to raise any dents, and fine wire wool to finish the stock before either oiling (my favourite ) or varnishing

goes without saying take the action out of the stock before you start
    Gamo Phox .22
    BSA Lightning SE GRT .22
    tuned XS78 .22

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Ok, so it's a gamo one, but it's collectable to me! (plus you guys should know the most about this)

The stock is beech and a bit tired, surface scratches, peeling lacquer/varnish, and I would like to improve it.
    I'm thinking just have at it with wet and dry, avoid the chequering and varnish afterwards. Is that right? If so, what grit papers and what varnish and where would I get it? Do I go right back to the wood or just past the blemishes?

What the hell! Anyone wanna do it for me?! Only joking. Probably.
    Going off what you just said' don't touch it
    , .22 Midas , .177 TX200 SR. ZASTAVA PISTOL.177.