I thought it would be interesting to start up a thread about the pre war straight grip Webley pistols.

I first saw one of these, an early MK1 'Patents applied For' Model in a gunshop* window in Shrewsbury in the early 1990's. The owner had a Christmas window display of vintage air rifles and pistols and although they were NFS he did let me have a good look at the MK1. It took me quite a few years of looking to find my own. In 1999 I saw one advertised in Airgun World classifieds & was lucky enough to be the first to speak to the seller on the phone. I sent off a cheque and it arrived a couple of days later.

I was really pleased with it & still am. It's the one I have always kept, it shoots well. These are accurate pistols if in good order. It's a fairly late version with the trigger adjustment & locking screw. I have always loved the shape of the early pistols there is something of an 'Edwardian Automatic' look to them. The build quality is great.

I was shooting a MK1 today, its getting on for 85 years old but put every pellet where it was pointed. You have to concentrate though!

Here is a pic of my favourite Mk1 (top) with another very nice one one.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...e-war/mk1s.jpg

* The gunshop in Shrewsbury was Ebrall Brothers, near the Welsh Bridge, it closed a few years ago.