Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early BSA air rifle / army shooting real photo postcard

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Something I saw on 'the bay' last month was this great family group with a Webley Mk2 Service rifle

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/...re-war/web.jpg
    They say every picture tells a story, don't they?

I'd love to know what this one's is

Or post it for a caption competiton and we'll make one up.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

I think you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Great find, Ed! Interesting, the suggestion that the smartly-dressed gent on the right is GLJ himself. The only pic I can find of him is from John Knibbs' book.

I've Photoshopped the two side by side and Ed's pic could certainly show an older GLJ - perhaps 15 or 20 years older.

Pic HERE.
    Here's a pic of Lincoln Jeffries Senior in his later years alongside the other two. http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...djg/LJPics.jpg
    Judging from the tash, hippy hair style, high forehead and cheek bones the unknown guy in the middle picture has to be LJ. If he was in his 60's at the time this would place the picture just before WW1.

I thought it was Lincoln Jeffries to begin with, but then modified the post, as didn't LJ move to New Zealand and die in the early 20's, which would not tally with the timeline. Though aren't there are some protoype LJ rifles and pistols from the 1920's, so could be mistaken.
    I wonder if they are regular soldiers or territorials/ militia.
    Only a hunch but the picture seems pre WW1 to me.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe

Oops, Sorry - a typo error

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Here's a pic of Lincoln Jeffries Senior in his later years alongside the other two. http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...djg/LJPics.jpg
    Judging from the tash, hippy hair style, high forehead and cheek bones the unknown guy in the middle picture has to be LJ. If he was in his 60's at the time this would place the picture just before WW1.
    Or maybe not - I thought I had put WW2 instead if WW1 when I read your comment, but in fact I did put WW1. So I am in complete accord with you. Given that LJ Sr was born in 1847 he would have been in his mid 60's just before the start of the first world war, in say about 1912-1914. The guy in the photo looks about that age.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 01-06-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Misread original comment

Just visible in the background behind the men in line is a blackboard with some chalked messages on it. I have tried to enhance it but I need a higher resolution image. The same thing for the staff sergeant in the foreground, his brass epaulette badges break up when I try with them. The crossed rifles on his sleeve indicated marksman status, at least when I served and meant a few bob extra pay, but in his case could mean he is an armourer NCO. In my day he would have been a member of the REME but I'm not sure that they existed back then...
    Dave...

After a little research I think that the Staff sergeant checking the targets is a member of the RAOC and the badges on his sleeve indicate his rank three stripes and a crown and the crossed rifles means he is a Skill at arms instructor.
    A very interesting photo Eddie...Dave...