Thread: Phials. Where to get skinny, pop top ones?

Phials. Where to get skinny, pop top ones?

Hi all
    Been toying with ways to make loading my Old Army a little less slow and thinking along the lines of a speedloader for the powder i.e. pre-charged phials narrow enough to fit in the .457 chambers, arranged at the appropriate spacing for the chambers (maybe drill the holes in a disc of wood to hold the phails in place)

The idea is:
    Take cylinder out
    push cylinder over phials
    Invert cylinder
    Load wads/balls on loading stand
    grease
    Replace in frame
    Cap
    Shoot

Seems like this could speed things up considerably but, though I can work out what diameter phials and find plenty on the bay I can't work out the length / ml volume to hold a reasonable charge comfortably.

If anyone has found a source of appropriate sized phials (not with screw tops as I figure you make a similar drilled piece of wood to hold the phial tops so you can take off all 6 tops at once) I would love to know.

Thanks

Note. This scheme may be somewhat harebrained.

Salamander is offline The bbs' most interfered with member
    Try a naturalist's equipment store. Insect collectors use them for specimens.

One in Kent...Bradford and something...

Hey Paul

Hows things !!!

I load a ROA on a stand & use the vials singly (for both BP & nitro loads

I have two types - one that the top comes off completely (flat bottomed) & ones that have a 'captive' top & tapered bottom

Both load equally quickly - but the captive top ones maybe slightly quicker as you are not looking to put the top back on - I just chuck them in a box - top still open

Not sure you will speed it up much - how many are you looking to shoot on a session then ??

The stand loading makes things MUCH quicker than loading on the gun - I use the Triple P stand

Roy

Hey Roy
    All good thanks! How's you?

Do you know how many ml your flat bottomed ones are? Are they narrow enough to fit inside the chambers?

Don't need to be incredibly quick but a little quicker should allow me to get off a full card in one firing detail when the prone boys are shooting at the other end of the range.

Jealous of the stand. 6gun4fun don't make them any more so the only one I've seen over here is the one sold by Kranks

Cheers

phials

HI,
    i got mine from Frontire Classics,he advertises them on gun star,under reloading,worth a look,T

Quote Originally Posted by pnuk View Post
    Hey Roy
    All good thanks! How's you?

Do you know how many ml your flat bottomed ones are? Are they narrow enough to fit inside the chambers?

Don't need to be incredibly quick but a little quicker should allow me to get off a full card in one firing detail when the prone boys are shooting at the other end of the range.

Jealous of the stand. 6gun4fun don't make them any more so the only one I've seen over here is the one sold by Kranks

Cheers
    The TripleP stand is brilliant - Best on the market in my opinion ......& I tried to act as an Agent for 6gun4fun over here - but they were about as reliable as a big bag of unreliable things - so I withdrew & they went belly up shortly after

Maybe we should start fettling them ourselves !

The loose lid vials I have are 2ml - would easily hold about 40gn of powder (I shooot either 16gn or 18gn) and yes they do go inside the cylinder on the ROA

The taper bottom (I use them for nitro so no confusion !!) obviously wont as the lid would stop it. Mmmmmm maybe if you cut the tag - it might go in ??

Pity we didn't have this conversation when we met - I had all my BP kit with me !!

You will have to come & look one day !

Roy

Thanks all. I've ordered some and will be playing around with them soon.

I'll report back.

Roy, drop me the dates you're at Bisley and I'll see if any match with mine.

Cheers