Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HW45, Just For Men

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

HW45, Just For Men

The HW45 has the same grip size as a .45 1911 A1 Government pistol, it has very nearly the same weight and it can be adjusted to the same trigger weight, surely meaning it's NOT the choice of men with small willies who might just suggest it's big and heavy in a vain attempt to divert us from their inadequacies

If you avoid the wussy limp grip and develop a firm repeatable (this is key) hold with an HW45 and achieve good results you will be able to shoot a full bore 1911 accurately when you visit a country where you can legitimately use one.

If you want an easy pistol to shoot buy a NERF gun and while you're in the toy shop get a slinky & a giroscope because they're fun and educational, and get a magnifying glass too while you're there, it might make you feel better

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

In the same way that fat middle-aged blokes with small willys and a divorce don't buy sportscars ... no, of course they don't

Actually, I found a light grip to be better and more repeatable with my well-hung .177 HW45

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Actually, I found a light grip to be better and more repeatable with my well-hung .177 HW45
    That works too, try it with a .45 1911
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

50 metres from the English Channel. Worthing
    Equipped with Pachyderm (or whatever) grips over the wooden stock grips I found my level of accuracy improved quite noticeably until I got an FN6 Falcon whereupon I entered a different league. I spoiled all that by doing "things" to the pneumatics that I'm not going to tell you about.

I would have a 45 any time, just for its looks.
    Easily led

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you avoid the wussy limp grip and develop a firm repeatable (this is key) hold with an HW45 and achieve good results you will be able to shoot a full bore 1911 accurately when you visit a country where you can legitimately use one....
    Although not a cartridge pistol shooter and not likely to ever be one, I am reliably informed by those that were competitive nationally with cartridge pistols that those who can shoot well with air pistols generally can shoot live firing weapons well too as the core shooting qualities are usually well developed.
    Certainly an HW45 is not a pre-requisite 1911 trainer but merely one of many low powered guns with long lock times that can teach proper pistol control.

I never fired a Colt Gov't before the ban but I did handle one. What a design classic that pistol is ...

I did shoot a match card down the club with a S&W 8" .44 magnum though, just before it was handed in ... Recoil was OK (fairly light loads) but I wasn't expecting the pressure wave to hit me in the face Thought I was going to faint!

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?
    I never fired a Colt Gov't before the ban but I did handle one. What a design classic that pistol is ...

I did shoot a match card down the club with a S&W 8" .44 magnum though, just before it was handed in ... Recoil was OK (fairly light loads) but I wasn't expecting the pressure wave to hit me in the face Thought I was going to faint!
    The 1911 is THE classic pistol. I used to shoot a Model 70 Gold cup which I reworked for Practical pistol. No problem to remove the black out of a target card (black about 4'' diameter) freehand shooting.

Now 44 magnum-----Hee Hee, the pressure wave you mention was fun wasn't it?
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Colt 1911 has a stupid grip-angle which means that most people find it points low. But it looks cool!

The Luger Parabellum P-08 has the right grip angle but a horrible trigger and knuckle-schmuckle mechanics. I did fire fifty or so rounds through one of these before the ban and it was suprisingly accurate considering the creepy crunchiness of the trigger mech.

The most pointable Colt is the Single Action Army, but that sort of thing went out of fashion a while back.

BigEars Guest
    The HW45 has the same grip size as a .45 1911 A1 Government pistol, it has very nearly the same weight and it can be adjusted to the same trigger weight, surely meaning it's NOT the choice of men with small willies who might just suggest it's big and heavy in a vain attempt to divert us from their inadequacies

If you avoid the wussy limp grip and develop a firm repeatable (this is key) hold with an HW45 and achieve good results you will be able to shoot a full bore 1911 accurately when you visit a country where you can legitimately use one.

If you want an easy pistol to shoot buy a NERF gun and while you're in the toy shop get a slinky & a giroscope because they're fun and educational, and get a magnifying glass too while you're there, it might make you feel better

- Nick
    Agree entirely, the HW45, shooting and an upper body workout all in one.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Ah, the Colt Government Model .45 automatic; stock sights that belong on a pocket .25: vicious recoil: expensive cartridges: all in an awkward package that doubles as an anchor for a small boat!

They're very popular with US shooters, who buy them "for protection".

The shooters throw them in a shooting bag and take them to a range, where they spend a considerable amount of effort in a vain attempt to control them well enough to hit the target.

Then back in the gun bag they go, unloaded. But at 2 1/2 pounds, unloaded, they still make very effective clubs if you swing your gun bag at the skull of the mugger who's trying to take the bag away from you.

Then back home they go, where they're either put away somewhere - presumably and hopefully unloaded - or left a a drawer somewhere, loaded, again for protection. And if fired indoors against a burglar, would probably permanently cost you at least half your hearing.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I never fired a Colt Gov't before the ban
    Believe me, you haven't missed a thing!
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

- Nick
    Or you could do this, Nick: for a fraction of the cost of a session of self-inflicted suffering with a 1911, you could get hold of a .22 revolver or automatic and actually have some fun while hitting the target!

Jim

I must say there are only two semi auto pistols that appeals to me and they are the walther ppk in .32 and the colt 1911 in .45 never having shot ether but the guns that really appeals to me are revolvers. The small J frame s&w in .22 or .38 and the old colt 45 revolver in .22 or .45 from what I have herd and seen it seems to me that revolvers are both safer to have around and they cannot jam if you have a duff round you just pull the trigger again and shoot the next one. Then there is all of this rubbish about only having five or six shots against twelve or more in a semi auto when the US police say that in the average fire fight they only usually shoot two or three shots and it is not how many shots you get off in the end its hitting them in the right place that stops the bad guy.

Men and lady blacksmiths

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Or you could do this, Nick: for a fraction of the cost of a session of self-inflicted suffering with a 1911, you could get hold of a .22 revolver or automatic and actually have some fun while hitting the target!

Jim
    I love my Taurus model 66 357 magnum....but I also have a 1911 22lr that's great fun.
    As for the HW45, my wife borrowed mine and out shot me so I sold it