Thread: 10m match pistol beginner

10m match pistol beginner

Hello
    I am a beginner to 10m match pistol and I need some advice on which pistol to buy. I am looking at second hand and I am aware that everyone has a different view and that it's about how it feels in the hand. I have been looking for a FWB mod65/80 and someone else suggested a FAS 604, I have also seen a 2nd hand Walther LP300 which may just be in my budget.

The Walther LP300

Rutty

The FWB65 & 80 are superb pistols (I have a 65 and wouldn't swap it for the world) but if I were in any way serious about 10 metre match I'd go with a more modern PCP.

Whatever you go for, buy second hand; that way you won't lose much, if anything, if you decide it's not for you.

We have a club member selling his LP10 as he has to give up competition shooting for a while.

The pistol is silver with one silver barrel and one blue barrel - I have shot it myself and it is every bit as good as my new LP10, and it shows you what you can get s/h when compared with new prices.

The Steyr LP10 is one of the most popular 10 meter target pistols, and if you can pick one up as good as this for less than £800 you are unlikely to ever loose any money on it when the time comes to sell it.
    Last edited by zooma; 07-06-2012 at 09:28 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Hello
    Thanks for the advice, seems like I have a few things to think about before making a decision...
    R

Quote Originally Posted by RBS1 View Post
    Hello
    I am a beginner to 10m match pistol and I need some advice on which pistol to buy. I am looking at second hand and I am aware that everyone has a different view and that it's about how it feels in the hand. I have been looking for a FWB mod65/80 and someone else suggested a FAS 604, I have also seen a 2nd hand Walther LP300 which may just be in my budget.
    They are all good. It just depends on the prices asked and how much you want to pay. As stated, the LP300 is probably the best, but the others are all capable of outshooting maybe 99% of shooters. At fair prices, you shouldn't lose at all on any of them.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

I'm in the same situation as you. My primary discipline is American Bullseye, but I shoot air pistol as part of my training regimen.

I went with a single stroke pneumatic pistol (the Pardini K58), and I highly recommend the simplicity of a pistol that doesn't require the overhead of gas bottles, etc. It's just added expense, and takes up a lot of space in your garage. I also have the benefit of being able to shoot air guns (legally) in my garage, which allows for a lot of additional training. I'm not sure if that's possible in your area.

My philosophy is to buy the best you can afford to shoot, and when you start outshooting the gun, sell it and upgrade. Until then, you're better off putting the savings into pellets and dry firing.

So, I recommend the FAS 604, with a FWB 65 as a second choice. If the LP300 came with all the accessories (gas bottle, filling attachments) for a similar price, it would be worth it.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    I'm in the same situation as you. My primary discipline is American Bullseye, but I shoot air pistol as part of my training regimen.

I went with a single stroke pneumatic pistol (the Pardini K58), and I highly recommend the simplicity of a pistol that doesn't require the overhead of gas bottles, etc. It's just added expense, and takes up a lot of space in your garage. I also have the benefit of being able to shoot air guns (legally) in my garage, which allows for a lot of additional training. I'm not sure if that's possible in your area.

My philosophy is to buy the best you can afford to shoot, and when you start outshooting the gun, sell it and upgrade. Until then, you're better off putting the savings into pellets and dry firing.

So, I recommend the FAS 604, with a FWB 65 as a second choice. If the LP300 came with all the accessories (gas bottle, filling attachments) for a similar price, it would be worth it.

-John
    ..along the same lines I have been shooting a Feinwerkbau 103 and an FAS 604 recently, and if anything my scores have been better than with my Steyr LP10, so the SSP pistols do have a lot going for them.

The Feinwerkbau Model 65 and 80 pistols are still very strong performers and also need none of the support kit that the PCP and CO2 pistols require, and so from that point of view the springers and the single stroke pistols are worthy of serious consideration.
    Last edited by zooma; 07-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

I have just aquired a very nice FAS 604 SSP although not for 10M - I will be using it for Bell Target shooting at my local club,as a lot of the members also shoot pistol as well as rifle.

My first impressions after shooting it all afternoon is ;firstly it is a very well made pistol,superb engineering.It is of medium weight and balances nicely in the hand,the walnut anatomical grip fitting my hand perfectly.The cocking action is quite easy,with just slight resistance as the overlever is closed.I cannot fault the trigger at all and is surely one of the best I have ever used.It is not a powerful weapon by any means at just over 420fps with RWS 10 Match,but very smooth and accurate.I am no pistol shooter at all and this is my first serious pistol (I had a Gamo Compact about 10 years ago - and the FAS is in a totally different league) - I am grouping much better than I had expected for my first attempt. I only shoot at 6yds but am getting nice clover leafs from a rested position and freehand can group inside a 10p piece.

For me the FAS 604 is nigh on perfect for my purpose.Very pleased indeed.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

hi, i have for sale my steyr lp10 black pistol, she shoots as good as new, the pistol is the mannlicher version, the reason for my sale is that i have recently got onto the gb squad with this pistol and as i now take my shooting a lot more seriously i have done that bit extra and bort my self a new one. the gun comes with a silver hard locking case, all the tools the guns come with new, 2 silver cylinders. i can send u pictures if u like and the gun will be sold as seen due to previous time wasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Balterley View Post
    hi, i have for sale my steyr lp10 black pistol, she shoots as good as new, the pistol is the mannlicher version, the reason for my sale is that i have recently got onto the gb squad with this pistol and as i now take my shooting a lot more seriously i have done that bit extra and bort my self a new one. the gun comes with a silver hard locking case, all the tools the guns come with new, 2 silver cylinders. i can send u pictures if u like and the gun will be sold as seen due to previous time wasters.
    Do the right thing mate and stick it on the sales section or a new post on here - Please don't hijack other OP's threads even though your intentions might be to help - A Private Message to the OP would be more appropriate.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.