Thread: Webley pellet tins

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm

Webley pellet tins

I seem to be seeing a veritable flood of the old, oblong orange Webley pellet tins on E-bay. What's the crack? Some of them look in too good condition to be true. Is there someone out there reproducing them?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Could be. 'Too good to be true' tin from Turkey of all places. Draw your own conclusions.
    Looking at the Weaman street tin marked with Rifle (in the singular), so nice and early, that I bought at Bisley yesterday, complete with scratches, light rust, a few minor imperfections, wear marks on the underside and slightly faded paint (comparing top to underside) with all sorts of dust and verdigris on the inside, then I would suggest this one is genuine.
    If you need to be reminded that fakes abound, take a look at the vintage tin toys currently newly manufactured and sold as such.
    Then compare to some of the originals. Caveat emptor!
    Experts get fooled whatever the treasure.

Whilst not beyond the realms of possibility, I would have thought it would be too expensive to exactly replicate this type of tin, with the exact size, inner coating, outer colour and print, particularly considering the relatively small quantity likely to be sold.
    I have similar sealed and empty tins in excellent condition, but most have a few marks/scratches.