Thread: Replacement fibre optics for HW40

Replacement fibre optics for HW40

The green fibre optic rod on the rear sight of my HW40 snapped recently and I’m having difficulty finding a replacement.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one? I’ve checked Chambers but they don’t seem to stock them.

I’m also wondering whether, even if I do manage to get hold of a straight rod of the correct gauge, I’d be able to bend it into the U shape needed to fit the rear sight blade without it snapping.

The closest thing I’ve been able to find (and I’m not even sure if it’s the correct gauge) is this.

If anyone has any experience of this or can offer any advice I’ll be very grateful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by travisbicks View Post
    The green fibre optic rod on the rear sight of my HW40 snapped recently and I’m having difficulty finding a replacement.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of one? I’ve checked Chambers but they don’t seem to stock them.

I’m also wondering whether, even if I do manage to get hold of a straight rod of the correct gauge, I’d be able to bend it into the U shape needed to fit the rear sight blade without it snapping.

The closest thing I’ve been able to find (and I’m not even sure if it’s the correct gauge) is this.

If anyone has any experience of this or can offer any advice I’ll be very grateful.

Thanks
    Sheesh, thats harsh! Have you tried them directly?
    http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/seiten...paraturen.html

I use the same fibre you have linked to on 3 of my bows.

I have bent it through some pretty heavy angles without it snapping (2 seperate right angles on the scope on my target compound and on my hunting compound I have it coiled around the 3 sight pins which are only a couple of mm thick).

I'm not sure what gauge you would need for a HW40 but this is a similar gauge to that on the HW45, if anyone can confirm the gauge is the same between the 40 and the 45 then I will happily check the gauge is the same between this fibre and my HW45.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

I have been told that fishing line works . readily available in the £ shops.

I would have thought that fishing line would lack the fibre optic qualities and be too soft to stay put ??

Thanks guys,

I’ve sent Weihrauch an email so I’ll see what response I get.

blooregard - I’m guessing it’s likely that the HW40 has the same gauge as the HW45 and for the price I think it’s probably worth the risk, so I’d been very grateful if you could check.
    PS Your signature quote has to be Camus, am I right?

There are two separate strands of fibre in the sight so it still works, albeit a lot dimmer than it should be. Not sure how long they’ll stay in position, but if they fall out soon I’ll try the fishing line idea.

Just can’t believe how hard it is to get hold of this stuff!

Just checked and the gauge is the same (as far as my eye can tell).

Merlin are a great shop and while they usually have the best prices and are always helpful they are not always the quickest to despatch. To be fair though most archery kit needs some customisation before it can be sent, something like this can be dropped into an evelope and mailed out. If I had some spare I would happily mail it to you but I just replaced the fibres on my scope.

Spot on with Camus!

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Just checked and the gauge is the same (as far as my eye can tell).
    That's great, thanks a lot! If I don't hear from Weihrauch I'll give it a try. Found a very general guide to fitting replacements here also.

I love that Camus quotation.

Thanks again.

I received a letter this morning from Weihrauch in Germany containing replacement filaments for the rear site.

I'm really impressed with their customer service and it's convinced me to buy a HW45 when I have the money. Actually, I don't need much convincing but it's another excuse to buy one at least

Quote Originally Posted by travisbicks View Post
    I received a letter this morning from Weihrauch in Germany containing replacement filaments for the rear site.

I'm really impressed with their customer service and it's convinced me to buy a HW45 when I have the money. Actually, I don't need much convincing but it's another excuse to buy one at least
    Glad you got sorted, you will not regret buying a hw45, great fun.