Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
I think for many years it just seemed more logical to have close gaps, it appeared to be a higher degree of precision, people did not understand that with a small gap they were seeing refracted light around the edges and not white space, and also the bigger the gap the easier it is to judge a comparason on either side, and things move on, and those that look technically into why often gain an advantage whilst others just stick on tradition. Small and tight sights fall into that category, some manufacturers are not that close to inavative shooters so they stick with the old school. Your good level shooter should try a wide big sight picture he might shoot even better (or not!).
We have a training aid for new shooters which is a dummy pistol with huge sights, 4 inch wide back site, with an 1 inch and a 1/2 gap, and an inch wide front site, I think its fabulous, the sight picture is incredible!!!
Just wait, some one will do it, make a huge back site as big as will fit in the box, nothing in the rules to stop it other than it must fit the box, they'll shoot well, and then every one will do it!!
Good shooting
Robin
Dear Robin,
i completely agree with your reply about larger wider fore and rear sights. I would actually like to get front sight and rear sights made for my Walther CPM-1 pistol. Would you know whom to contact to get well fabricated sights made from. Just throwing it at you for your insight before I call and harrass machining people because your know a lot of stuff. Thanks for your replies, I have read quite a few of them and learnt a lot from them.
have a nice day
John