Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steyr Pistols in CO2 flavour

Steyr Pistols in CO2 flavour

I'm pretty certain that Steyr made a CO2 version of the LP 1, but does anyone know if they did a CO2 LP 2?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

Yes, according to the blue book of air guns LP-1 LP-2 LP-5 LP-10 and LP-50 were made in CO2 and PCP. In all models the book says subtract 15% for CO2.

Thanks PP.

Anyone got an LP1 or LP2 in horrible CO2 flavour they want to part with?
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,

Are there kits available to change the newer pistols over to PCP? I know there are some cheaper pistols (Rohm Twinmaster) that use either source of power. Does Steyr offer that same option?

Thanks,

-John

Yes they do. I just had my LP5 converted to air.
    Iirc, costed me about 250 euro's.
    Does have more shots per fill in co2 though, and I feel, different recoil.
    But thats the semi auto LP5.
    Its not really worth the $$ imo, if yrs is shooting well, and you dont shoot matches (outdated cilinders).
    I converted mine, cause an overhaul, incl new cilinder date etc, was nearly as expensive
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Hi Derek
    Hows the shooting going? I've never heard of a Co2 LP2, but there definately are LP1's about in Co2. That's if they've not all been converted to PCP. We had two club guns, both shot beautifully, we converted both to PCP for convenience and so we could reduce the weight for Juniors and beginners with the compact alloy PCP cylinders. I think you'll find that you can get early Steyr PCP's now for a similar price, go on, cross over from the dark side, get a PCP one!!
    We did also have some prototype Steyr alloy Co2 cylinders that Steyr gave to Mick Gualt to try back in the deep snow.
    Best regards
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Hi Robin

The shooting isn't going too well! I shoot 3 times a week, but my average, mediocre as it was, has dropped right off. Now the drop is psychologically self fulfilling! I feel the Walther is a shade too (front) heavy for me, so at present I'm going to concentrate on the FAS. The fault is all mine- trigger control, or lack of, not the guns.

I wasn't sure myself about LP2s in CO2 flavour, but PP in post #2 says that a reference book quotes them as having been available. I prefer CO2 as for me it is more convenient and cheaper than air. I have a 6 or 8 ltr bottle which will last me years and delivered to the door costs around £10 for a fill. A CO2 gun should be a lot cheaper too, as "everyone knows CO2 is a hopeless propellant). I'm unlikely to ever reach the dizzy heights where the slight velocity change as a CO2 gun chills will make a difference to my scores.

I'm considering the step up to a Steyr, for the extra adjustments available ie. the fully adjustable grip and the variable width rear sight (assuming the LP1 & 2 are fitted with it). I could conceivably stretch to a new one, but would prefer not to if a good s/h one comes at the right price!

PS. Any idea what CO2 & PCP LP1s would go for in decent condition? Pm me if you wish.

On egun around 350 euro's I guess.
    I prefer co2 as well, allthough I prefer bulbs, even easier.

PS For the co2 versions, there are several cilinders available as well; short, long, probably alu as well
    ATB,
    yana

Thanks for the info. Yana. It's a pity that (apparently) no-one made a 12g adaptor for the high end guns; as you say, they're conveneient, cheap as chips and you know you have x good shots.

Derek
    I think you'll find the lp1 a similar weight and ballance to your Walther, the gun for you is the Steyr LP2 compact, light, superb trigger and great ballance. Half our club uses them, that's the old farts and the youngsters, and we have a current senior national team member and ex Britisish champion who uses one. They do come up from time to time, I'll let you know if I see one for sale. I have not shot pistol for two years as I have an arm problem, I returned to the dark side, rifle, to keep shooting!
    I've loaned my LP2 compact to a youngster but I would never sell it.
    Good shooting
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Derek
    I think you'll find the lp1 a similar weight and ballance to your Walther, the gun for you is the Steyr LP2 compact, light, superb trigger and great ballance. Half our club uses them, that's the old farts and the youngsters, and we have a current senior national team member and ex Britisish champion who uses one. They do come up from time to time, I'll let you know if I see one for sale. I have not shot pistol for two years as I have an arm problem, I returned to the dark side, rifle, to keep shooting!
    I've loaned my LP2 compact to a youngster but I would never sell it.
    Good shooting
    That sounds like our club, except that we're less than 1/3 youngsters and I'm unfortunately not one of them!

I've been wondering about the compact myself, though I've never seen or handled one. The Walther comes in at 1100gm and the LP1/2 standard at 900 I believe. I figured the extra 200gm could be the straw that broke the camel's back. I think I'll bow to your experience re. the balance of the guns though, as I know you have Walthers too. I could really do with trying both the LP1 or 2 standard and compact side by side, but where and how, God knows! It's a big investment, potentially slightly bad, if you can't compare all the choices together.
    Thanks for the advice Robin and hope the arm improves. Rifles are OK, but pistols are where it's at!

I am in much the same boat, I have shot for some years with a FWB C25, and found it a tad heavy for this 71 year old. I was lucky that a club member had given up shooting and was selling a Walther CPM-1
    that weighs in at 1015g.with the short cylinder full of CO2 and the balance is so much better
    The scores have gone up a little after the change, but as I say,at 71 and post a slight stroke, I cannot expect to much.
    Good luck with the search, if you get the chance to try a CPM-1 give it a go.
    Peter

Interesting discussion here.
    I was also using a FWB C25, and found it too heavy for a 60 shot match. I searched for a Morini 162 short with mechanical trigger, could not find one and bought the electronic version. With a large grip and epoxy filler it is not especially light, but the balance is better with the short barrel, and the electronc trigger is great for dry fire practice. I bought a 3 L air cylinder, which is very manoeverable, and a reasonable price.
    I hope I am still shooting at 71.

Regards
    Evo 10 Compact.

Derek
    Compacts are the way to go, think hi spec FAS604 and you don't need to pump it. the ballance is the key to them.
    Good shooting
    Robin

Have shot LP2 in compact and ambi forms, currently own a LP2 full, for my hands the full size is better. Not adjustable rear sight, but two sizes available - turn it over for larger / smaller aperture!

As you are in Scarborough, try and talk to Ann Marshall at Yorkshire Modern Pentathlon, they use Steyr's and Walther's as club guns, you may be able to try them at a "taster day"

Tell her Adrian sent you, it's normally good for some abuse!

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308