Thread: Anyone used the Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56?

Anyone used the Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56?

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting one of these for my .22lr for some long range target shooting, I'd like to shoot out to around the 150yd mark.

I currently have an EB optimate which is amazing in the optics dept, but being a second focal plane and a dual x reticle, I find it difficult to consistently hit a 3" target at that distance, I'd like something with half mil-dots and thought the falcon, being a ffp would be good?

Thanks.

Danny.
    Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22/BRNO Model 2/Remington 597/Buckmark/Marlin.44

the ammo will play a huge part over that distance

Quote Originally Posted by wrarapid View Post
    the ammo will play a huge part over that distance
    Hi,

I find Winchester subs to be the most accurate in my rifle, I'm sure there are other brands, the problem is that my rfd only stocks Winchester, Eley and CCI.

Cheers.

Decent scope for the price but heavy and being Ffp will mean the reticle will cover a considerable portion of the target when the mag is wound up

That shouldn't be an issue as I'll be shooting off a bipod and don't intend to go to the full mag on the scope, prob around x15 mag maximum.

Cheers.

Danny

Won't you be paying a lot of money to get good optics at 25 mag and then never use them? Is there something with less mag that would fit the bill?
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Hi Rich,

I was going to go for the 4-14x44, but as I'll also be using the scope for hunting, at times in low light conditions then it made sense to go for the big objective to allow light in at those critical times.

Atb,
    Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by pnuk View Post
    Decent scope for the price but heavy and being Ffp will mean the reticle will cover a considerable portion of the target when the mag is wound up

Just to add to this point, according to the instructions supplied with the scope, "the reticle thickness does not alter in relation to the target, it is not dependant on magnification. Reticle thickness is exactly the same at 4x as it is a 14x for example".

Good to know, just received the scope and first impressions are it s a cracker.

Atb.

Ive got the 4-14x44 ffp on my gun and its ok for low light shooting its really not as bad as I originally thought, ive still been able to see through it when the street lights in the distance come on.

Ir would be the key its the black crosshairs that can blend in with dark objects at night, the mtc I had made a better ret for low light although in most conditions in the day I like the falcon.

One thing like said is the weight of the falcons they are heavy as hell but give the impression they would take recoil from a 50 cal a rimfire should give it and easy life.

Before I bought it I did some research and the early batches of the bigger objective scopes were suffering the lenses coming loose thats why I went for the 44 as it was a trusty strong built scope.

Just as an update I bought the 5.5-25x56 and it was very clear if a bit heavy, the main thing was, as noted on this thread, that the lack of ir felt like it could be an issue.

However the scope developed a fortunate problem, the reticle canted slightly when zooming in and out so I sent it back to Falcon, they were great and offered me any choice of new scope, they even covered my postage, brilliant service.

I now have the 5.5-25x50 with ir and B20 reticle, it's awesome! Highly recommended for long range shooting off a bipod.

atb,
    Danny.

Danny

If you are just shooting targets at 150 yards I would try some 'target' ammo rather than limiting yourself to subs? You do not need to go to silly priced match but the SK brand might prove more accurate at distance?

Re. What the manual said about FFP, think you wil find the ret will 'get thicker' compared to the target when zoomed.

Brgds Terry

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post

Re. What the manual said about FFP, think you wil find the ret will 'get thicker' compared to the target when zoomed.
    The ret wont get thicker compared to the target.

If your viewing the target at 10mag then your also viewing the reticle at 10mag.

If increased to 20mag then both the target and ret are magnified by 20mag too.

Quote Originally Posted by thibben View Post
    Danny

If you are just shooting targets at 150 yards I would try some 'target' ammo rather than limiting yourself to subs? You do not need to go to silly priced match but the SK brand might prove more accurate at distance?

Brgds Terry
    Hi Terry,

Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't heard if that brand, I'll ask the two gunshops near me and see if they can get hold of it.

Actually now that I think of it I seem to recall my fac states that I can only buy hp ammo so I may see if I can get that changed.

Atb,
    Danny.