Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchrest Air Rifle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Benchrest Air Rifle

What rifles do people use? What modifications do they make? Do they use custom stocks?
    I shoot rimfire benchrest and have tried air rifle but I find it far more difficult. All info/advice will be gratefully received as I would very much like to progress with the air rifle

what is the point of rimfire benchrest you could shoot like a god but if the spotty knob next to you bought his batch of ammo and its better he wins.or am i missing something?

Have you shot any benchrest???

Quote Originally Posted by zx10mike View Post
    what is the point of rimfire benchrest you could shoot like a god but if the spotty knob next to you bought his batch of ammo and its better he wins.or am i missing something?
    Well you are missing something, but in other respects you are possibly correct. Benchrest is not as easy as it looks, it does require very careful attention to technique in order to consistently achieve good results. The same as prone, only different. However the rifle/scope/ammunition combination is more important than for prone. If you want to excel at benchrest then it involves a bit more than some batch testing.

My observation is that those who are into benchrest enjoy the engineering aspects of it. Testing barrel, bedding, ammunition, pellet combinations; tinkering with a purpose. It could be compared those who reload as a hobby rather than for financial reasons. The reloading is an end in itself.

Benchrest doesn't do it for me, but whatever floats your boat.

Rutty

nope never done any benchrest.but even centerfire ammo is crap compared to home loads it took ages for my 204 to shoot .25 and under, and the best it would do with factory was 1" at 100.i find one box of hmr ammo differs greatly from another.i shoot an anschutz and winchesters are shockingly bad ,hornadys are best in mine but i know rested i can shoot under .25 all day .through my swarovski 30x mag scope even the best rimfire ammo i can find does not all land were i shoot and that would wind me up if i had gone to a lot of trouble only to be let down by a bad batch.

atb mike

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    I think you've missed the whole point.
    The O/P asked about air rifle bench-rest, the equipment and how best to proceed.
    The best advice can be found on the UKBR22 website and forum.
    Register and ask your questions there.
    HTH
    Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Alegazmoz View Post
    The O/P asked about air rifle bench-rest, the equipment and how best to proceed.
    HTH
    Gary.
    do you now ! maybe i just picked up on the fact he had done rimfire benchrest and thought i would ask about it.if only i was clever like you.can a man not diversifey in conversation on this site.maybe you have missed the whole point.

do you now ! ...
    Yes I do.

Yes I do.
    anouther one

HTH
    Gary.
    Edward

Some good advice from Alegazmoz here, the EV2, Walther, MPR & Steyr are all rifles used by airgun benchrest shooters.

The EV2 is a good place to start and a good secondhand one can be picked up for a lot less that they are new.

Tony

You are missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    He did ask ....

arf!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    well don't just come out with a stupid comment .enlighten me or is that to hard

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    well don't just come out with a stupid comment .enlighten me or is that to hard
    Both rimfire and air rifle benchrest disciplines have their own challenges but getting consistently good results in air rifle benchrest competition is the more difficult.

However when you have the right set-up and have established the correct barrel cleaning regime for the pellets being used, then accuracy can be very close to that achieved with the best rimfire rifles on indoor ranges up to 25 yds; as per post#5

The best advice can be found on the UKBR22 website and forum; from post #7

The two gentlemen who offered the above information illustrate the point(s) you may have missed.

IMHO
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

ok thanks for that i was thinking much longer range where the hmr group at say 100 is down to ammunition quality.can't help at all with air rifle bench rest as my experience is fac air rifle wich i would assume be cheating.i would have thought at 25 yds hmr ammo and air rifle all go through the same hole especially in doors.