Thread: Any suggestions for decent, cheap spring pistol?

Any suggestions for decent, cheap spring pistol?

Hi chaps,
    Got plenty of lovely guns already.
    Keep fancying a Tempest, which I'm sure I'll get one day. I appreciate the Brummy ones are much nicer than these new ones, so it'd have to be an older Brummy one. The only thing is, knowing what I'm like, I'll not use it enough to do it justice, as I'd want one of these collectable ones keeping mint.
    It would only be for close range plinking, so does anyone know out of what's currently available new if anything's any good in the budget end of the market, or am I just dreaming?
    I don't really fancy a Chinese offering, which severely limits the options and I'm sure I read on here that the Baikal break barrel has a plastic breech block, which puts me off.
    Everything's probably steering me towards a HW70, which aren't cheap new, unless anyone's got a really tidy one at sensible money??
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Tony

If you fancy a Webley, then a 'good used' example shouldn't be silly money.
    Tempest, Hurricane, or how about a steel pistol? The Premier is a joy to shoot, handle and own. The laquer finish version (D series IIRC) being the newest (and cheapest).

Then theres the Original 5 or the more complex 6.

HW70 - I did notice a couple on gunstar or guntrader going cheap. One was new and boxed for £70 (IIRC) from a pest control firm.

The ASI Center used to be cheap and plentiful.

And theres always the good old BSA Scorpion!

As I said, only pay top money for 'Cupboard Queens' as condition is King

hth - Phil
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 06-06-2012 at 04:13 PM. Reason: mores

Baikal Izh53M

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Hi chaps,
    ... I'm sure I read on here that the Baikal break barrel has a plastic breech block, which puts me off.
    Yes it does, but bear in mind that it is also really quite low powered, I've never heard of it actually being a problem in use.

If anything should put you off the '53, it's the fact that it now has an ambidextrous grip which (assuming you're right-handed) isn't as good (as I understand it, never having handled one) as the older, right-handed grip of a few years back (the good old days when JSR sold them for about £30). Pictures of what you're missing here:

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ikal%20Izh53M/

Also, I think the excellent trigger isn't adjustable now, which it used to be.

I suspect, though, it's still vastly superior to the various chinese offerings and the Webley Typhoon break-barrel.

Regards,

Iain

Mmm,
    Thanks for replies, chaps, very helpful and informative.
    I think I'm possibly leaning more towards the Premier and Tempest, as classic designs, and for their future desirability, ultra compactness and fun.
    The compact size appeals for two reasons :-
    (1) For me, it enhances the fun aspect and also underlines the classic British design/build.
    (2) If I HAD to sneak it in, without the missus finding out, using it only when she's not around, its size makes it ideal for when it's put away. Having said that, as she takes zero interest, she probably wouldn't recognize it from any of the others.

To obtain a nice example of either the Premier or Tempest, what sort of budget should I be looking at?
    Anything in particular to look for?
    Are parts readily and easily available through, say, Knibbs and Chambers?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Re Webley Tempests...

I sold an immaculate .177 model boxed with the bits for £100 about 6 months ago. So £100 or less should get you a decent one. Avoid any costing more than this as they are probably owned by 'collectors' who overprice them.

Bear in mind a brand new wooden boxed centenary model is/was £199 brand spankers!

My Tempest was okay, fairly easy to cock, and reasonably accurate. Horrid trigger with little feel though.......I now have an HW45 and it is in a different league, accuracy, build, trigger feel are all superior to the Tempest. But cost is significantly more. If you could stretch to a used HW45 you certainly wouldn't regret it.

Good luck with your choice.

ATB
    Mark
    Laminate stock HW100KT .177, HW100KT .22, HW95K luxus .22, BSA Meteor Mk3 .22, SMK Mod 12 .177, MAS 0.07 .177 BB CO2, Gamo P-23 CO2

Cheers for that, Mark.

I already have a 45. It is, as you say, quite superb. And I love it.
    I have briefly handled a Webley years ago and, no, it wasn't in the same league, but I suppose they're just newer versions of an older, classic design.
    Just wanted something cheaper, something that I'm not going to get too precious about, if that makes any sense.

Like the idea of a tidy, used 45.......

Tony - I'd reccomend you should handle a steel Webley pistol, to see what you think of it.

If I've got one handy, I just can't put it down. If its in a drawer, I'm going to go there just to pick it up ...

They're like a British Luger Except for being an airpistol 'n all

TBH, not as good to shoot as they are to just own! But I think that of most airpistols. With the exception of match pistols.

Premier, Senior or MK1. In my opinion the alloy Tempest etc are just not as nice.

Look out for: Stretched cocking links, Bendy mk1 .22 barrels, chipped grips, missing / non-original bits like barrel pivot locking screw and sight screw.

hth - Phil

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    I had a webley senior in .22 I sat with it on my lap most nights. It was simply wonderful, akin to playing with playdoh it was just a touchy freely experience.

I will buy another when she's forgotten about it.....
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I had a webley senior in .22 I sat with it on my lap most nights. .
    And now you have that 'mail-order bride' Makarov to keep your lap company!

Yes, Seniors are lovely. I miss mine, with it's redish grips and very curved trigger ...