Thread: Help..Bent barrel on old relum

chris ballard Guest

Exclamation Help..Bent barrel on old relum

Greetings

Recently I found a lump of rust in me attic that used to masquerade as my first ever air rifle (Relum 522) .

It was given the treatment and now is reasonably well blued with an oiled stock. Amost un recogniseable, though it may go onto grandkids one day!

Sadly, took it out to zero and it was accurate enough, the problem being that the barrel was bent (B***dy obvious when you look at it) so badly upwards that you had to aim at the bottom of an A4 target to hit the top at 15m!!

In spite of that it was still consistent and grouped ok, seems a shame to do nothing.

This is well out of the range of the scope, and looks as though it could be corrected as the bend seems to be near the breech block end. God knows how it got like this, it used to shoot ok.

Anyone any ideas, can I do it, or could a gunsmith?

Although a bent barrel doesnt mean bad accuracy, if its so bad as to be unzeroable then it can be bent back, if its a break barrel then no doubt someone let go of barrel whilst cocking

You need to remove barrel (if break barrel) and put breech in a decent vice (protected jaws) then use a piece of pipe over barrel to where the bend is and firmly but slowly give it a nudge until its straight enough to be used again

If this was an expensive gun then I would offer different advice

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by baz
    Although a bent barrel doesnt mean bad accuracy, if its so bad as to be unzeroable then it can be bent back, if its a break barrel then no doubt someone let go of barrel whilst cocking

You need to remove barrel (if break barrel) and put breech in a decent vice (protected jaws) then use a piece of pipe over barrel to where the bend is and firmly but slowly give it a nudge until its straight enough to be used again

If this was an expensive gun then I would offer different advice

Baz
    That's almost exactly the same way I straightened the barrel of an old Relum I did up for my neighbour, except that I wasn't as delicate as Baz, and helped things along with a big rubber mallet. It did the job though.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1957
    That's almost exactly the same way I straightened the barrel of an old Relum I did up for my neighbour, except that I wasn't as delicate as Baz, and helped things along with a big rubber mallet. It did the job though.

Bob
    I see 'Rivington Riflemens Rusty Relum Renovator R Robert' has found this post.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

chris ballard Guest

Cheers Barrel whackers

Many tanks guys...seems it was as agricultural a remedy as I thought.

I own several rubber mallets, so its off to the farm workshop I go!!

Dont remember letting go of it though,,,convenient memory perhaps

If you want to REALLY be a perfectionist Chris, once you have the barrel reasonably straight roll it along a flat piece of glass or something similar to confirm your adjustment.
    The metal Relum ( or whoever actually made the rifles ) used seems to be pretty soft and malleable, so it is quite easy to straighten a bent barrel.
    Best of luck.

Bob