Thread: Dan Wesson Revolvers your thoughts

Dan Wesson Revolvers your thoughts

I am thinking about getting a Dan Wesson with the 2.5 barrel I said to myself that I would not get another pistol after I got rid of all of my guns apart from my beloved webley Premier and that will never go.

The problem is I really love revolvers I had a silver dan wesson with 4 inch barrel but that was a 6mm airsoft and that went with the rest of my airsoft stuff anyway as I said at the top I would like to get a silver 2.5 barrel shooting 4.5 bbs.

I like the idea of replacing the barrel with a riffled one and drilling out the cartridges to take pellets my question is has anyone done this and if so is it worth the bother.

Another idea I had was to get some new cartridges made using pieces of .177 barrel feeding the from the back they would not need the plastic bit at the front you could leave them it the gun and put the pellets in as you would on a gamo R77 revolver this would set the pellet turning ether down a smooth barrel or a riffled one.

One advantage with the new cartridges is that you would not be changing the gun itself so you could still use the old brass ones.

I will be looking forward to hearing what you think.

P/S If anyone has a nice silver 2.5 they want to sell drop me a pm.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    The rifled barrel is worth doing, grouping is good and power seems good, based on impact delay on a plate at 10m, I didn't bother chronoing though.
    I like the rifled cartridge concept, you'd still stand to get variations on exit from the barrel but I'd be very interested to see some results, that could work quite well!
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I love the Dan Wessons, I have the 8" and have been pondering on getting a 6". The thing to keep in mind is that the 2.5" isn't all that accurate but good fun all the same!
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, but mostly I just sits.

I think rifling within the cartridges might not be good for accuracy, at least not if the rest of the barrel is rifled. There is no benefit to rifled cartridges in terms of extra spin (think smooth twist barrel). The drawback I think is when the pellet jumps from the "cartridge" to the barrel, the barrel lands might line up with the grooves already engraved into the pellet's head, or they might not. Two sets of rifling, two sets of grooves cut in the head and the skirt, at a random angle to each other, not consistent.

However, a smooth highly polished metal tube of the right diameter should reduce friction while in the cylinder and this, together with the increased "barrel" length, may improve power a little. Nice piece of lateral thinking though; interesting!

That thought had occurred to me with two riffled barrels not lining up would it work but it would be interesting if anyone had a bit of .177 barrel and a lath and could make up a cartridge and try it out down the smooth barrel to see if it had any affect if it did work it could be a way to make a bit of money for someone as an easy way to upgrade your gun without actually modifying it.