Thread: Match Pistol servicing

Match Pistol servicing

Hello
    How often should a match pistol be serviced??
    Rich

Some experienced target shooters believe in the motto "if it 'aint broke - don't fix it" and further believe that new match pistols generaly only improve with use as the pistol gets "shot-in".

Obvious things like replacing damaged or failed seals and observing the manufacturers recommended lubrication ( if any) is not part of the above comment, but unless the match pistol is damaged or showing signs of wear or deterioration most shooters prefer to leave them alone.

Precautionary changing of a breech seal and a visual check-over for any loose or worn parts together with any recommended lubrication ( as mentioned above) at the start of each season for a pistol that has heavy use may not be a bad idea - and especially if any big competitions are planned this would be a wise move.

Modern match pistols are almost maintenance free, but common sense and carefull handling should always prevail.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Many thanks for the advice. Its just that I am looking a buying a 2nd hand pistol that was serviced 2 years ago and lightly used since then.
    Rich

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    As zooma said, check the breech seal is not "dry" or distorted and, on a PCP, check that any seal between the cylinder and the frame of the pistol has not been damaged for lack of lubrication. Feinwerkbau provide a light grease which seems to work well.

It might be worth running a chrono check - around 4 - 4.5 ft lbs and 500 ft/sec with a 7g pellet should be OK for 10 metre work.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal