Thread: No such thing as a stupid question??

No such thing as a stupid question??

Here goes

Made a startling discovery that I shoot better without shoes on (pistol) - before I get too confortable doing this are there any rules and regs that mean it can't be done at competitions?
    Steyr LP10E... when you absolutely positively have to punch neat holes in the middle at 10m accept no substitute

I don't see any rules in the ISSF book about shooting with no shoes, but the RCO would probably pull you up on it for health and safety. In a comp (or any range for that matter) the RCO's word is law.

Get yourself some shooting shoes - they feel very natural, give you a flat base to stand on, support you in kneeling etc. and wear thin socks otherwise you'll blister. I've got some AHG Anschutz shoes that look a million years old in a disgusting poo brown colour, but I shoot better wearing them than anything else. I picked mine up from a member on another forum for £40 about 3 years ago.

I'm not surprised you shoot better with no shoes on. I'll wager you have flat feet/collapsed arches?

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    There is nothing in the rules to say you can't shoot in bare feet,in fact I've seen a couple of 10m rifle shooters do this at Bisley
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    This came up at my club instructors' course the other day: shooting in bare feet is fine (allowing for range rules). The theory as to why it's better is that your body checks it's flat/square on the floor by pressure on the big toe; wearing shoes (especially trainers with the usual curved/moulded soles) means that your big toe feels a solid surface under itself when you are not, in fact, in proper contact with the ground. When you try it while thinking about it, it feels obvious. The correct answer is probably proper shooting shoes; plimsols with thin/flat soles might do in the meantime if you're not allowed bare feet.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Nothing in the ISSF or the NSRA rules to stop you, but you could get more advantage by using shoes, as the advantage you feel from no shoes is caused by the ability to "use" your feet, spread your toes, etc. This is why for rifle shooting the boot should support fully the ankle but there should be space around the front of the foot and toes to let the foot work. With pistol you're not allowed a shoe over the ankle but a good fitting pistol shoe will give a little ankle support but should still be big enough in front to let the foot work. A good cheap pistol shoe made for the job is the Mannel (Harry Preston used to do them, he may still do) around £80 or the cheaper option is to use skateboard shoes, which are also made for standing still and controling.
    Or if it works for you stick with no shoes!
    Good Shooting
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

A mixed bag of responses - thanks all!

Might stick with barefoot at home and shoes at club see if differences develop over time
    Steyr LP10E... when you absolutely positively have to punch neat holes in the middle at 10m accept no substitute