Thread: Can you recommend a good CHEAP target pistol?

Can you recommend a good CHEAP target pistol?

What would be a cheap entry into target pistols?
    Slinky or soda-stream, not bottle-fed
    Old would be fine, as long as it's reliable and not too technical.

Cheers
    -SP

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    There are haters, but I'd say Gamo Compact. Usually around £100 second hand, and once everything's in the 9 ring, you can sell it on for the same when you move up.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

There are good ones and there are cheap ones but no good cheap ones.As with most things you get what you pay for.You really need to try as many as you can before taking the plunge and actually buying one.Having said that there can be some good buys used,but it's a matter of waiting and you have no control of what's going to come up.
    Join a club,use what they have and what you can borrow to get a feel of what you want and are comfortable with and then make your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by defblade View Post
    There are haters, but I'd say Gamo Compact. Usually around £100 second hand, and once everything's in the 9 ring, you can sell it on for the same when you move up.
    Thanks defblade.
    How reliable is that type of system? Do the pistons need servicing or maintenance?

Cheers
    -SP

Quote Originally Posted by pcusername View Post
    There are good ones and there are cheap ones but no good cheap ones.As with most things you get what you pay for.You really need to try as many as you can before taking the plunge and actually buying one.Having said that there can be some good buys used,but it's a matter of waiting and you have no control of what's going to come up.
    Join a club,use what they have and what you can borrow to get a feel of what you want and are comfortable with and then make your decision.
    HI PcUsername,

I guess I'm asking a lot. I was hoping that a little snooping around (I know a few places who do regularly have s/h airguns of various types) and with a little luck I'd be able to find a bargain.
    As you say though, the s/h market is random, so I know I might be waiting a while before something good comes up.
    You are right, experiencing some first hand would be ideal.

Cheers
    -SP