Thread: Issues with a co2 pistol

Issues with a co2 pistol

Hi all,
    I have recently bought a used Walther CPM 1 which uses a CO2. I have never shot a co2 before this and learnt on a steyr lp10 compressed air gun. So please bear with me as i ask about something weird regarding my gun.

This happenned today during evening when i was shooting at my home range which must be at around 25 c in temperature. I was consistently shooting a okish group and then suddenly on pellet just went down to 4 the ring and the soundswas also weird as if the gun was low on gas. My nextshot just went staight to the floor without even making it that far and eventually the next shot didnot have any gas. Wheni weighed the cylinder it was still half full. I was taking a minute gap between shots so i dontthink it was the usual issue with co2 guns. I dont think the temp is high enough to warrant me cooling the gun on. Aice pack before shooting.

Now, i thought i should just bleed the cylinder value to see if it does have any gas left, and as i pushed the value, it started hissing pretty strongly and cauaed usual co2 frost so i reattached the same cylinder back on thepistol and it shot prefectly fine now. I am still scratching my head about this whole incident wondering what just happenned, this is unlike anyof the usuall issues i have read about co2 like shooting in hot environment or shooting too quickly.

Does anyone know what is going on.
    Thanks
    John
    Walther CPM 1

Not sure if this helps but I had the same problem caused by me over tightening the thumb screw before locking. This crushed the rubber seal causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Not sure if this helps but I had the same problem caused by me over tightening the thumb screw before locking. This crushed the rubber seal causing the problem.
    Apologies, i did not understand your comment. Do you mean overtightening the co2 cylinder to the gun.
    Walther CPM 1

Yes I tend to over do most threads. I now just tighten just enough to stop any leaking. As implied this may not have anything to do with your problem.

I have known this to happen on both rifle & pistol, Co2 & compressed air when the cylinder is not quite screwed up enough, perhaps only a couple of degrees of a turn.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

I have had the same problem with CO2 and air.

I tend to only just tighten the cylinder so as not to over stress the cylinder or pistol threads (often alloy to alloy), and sometimes should have tightened it a little more as when it is too loose I have notice that it unwinds itself as it is too loose.

Now I fully tighten the cylinder and then just back it off a little bit and have had no more problems like this.

I hope this helps.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.