Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help requested - shooting pistols after eyesight deteriorates

Help requested - shooting pistols after eyesight deteriorates

Hi all.

I want to ask for advice. I'm getting older and my eyesight is no longer so good. My long sight is fine but I wear glasses for reading. I've mainly been shooting a rifle for the past few years and with a scope it isn't a problem, but recently our 17 year old granddaughter and her boyfriend came to visit and asked if while with us they could do some shooting with the air pistols on my indoor range. I was happy for them to do that under my supervision, and to join them, but I found a problem. With the right set of glasses I can focus on the pistol foresight and rear sight no problem. Without the glasses I can see the target clearly. The problem is aligning the foresight with the target; with glasses I can see the foresight but not the target, without I can see the target but not the foresight. I can do well enough on fun targets like empty drink cans but a decent score on a card target just isn't on. Are lasers or red dot scopes accurate enough for target shooting at 6 - 10 yards or is my time for precision pistol shooting now over?

Thanks in advance for any help

ATB

David

I have the same problem and my solution was to have a pair of prescription shooting glasses made.These have a focal plane from about 3 feet to 30 feet.
    Otherwise, if using a modern pistol these can usualy take a red dot or reflex site.

Pete.

I've found a pistol scope is perfect on my 2240. It's only x2 and currently zeroed for 20 yards, but I found that it's also perfect at 5 yards. I have astigmatism in both eyes so I'm both long and short sighted, as my astigmatism runs diagonally in my right eye it lets me use scopes without a problem, and without glasses.
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

Being OK at distance, you might get away with a pair of those small, half-moon spectacles so beloved of medical consultants
    They would allow you to focus on the sights through the lens and then flick up above the lens to view the target.

Ian

If you can focus on the foresight and rear sight then this is what you want , it is not possible to focus on foresight, rear sight and target at the same time. For 10m pistol shooters , the target is a blur and alignment comes mainly through muscle memory and general area aiming. the alignment of the sights is the most important thing. The mistake is to flick betweeen sights and target as the shape of the lens in the eye changes each time you do that, and in older people there is a time lag while it adapts.
    GL with the pistol shooting.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by silvershooter View Post
    If you can focus on the foresight and rear sight then this is what you want , it is not possible to focus on foresight, rear sight and target at the same time. For 10m pistol shooters , the target is a blur and alignment comes mainly through muscle memory and general area aiming. the alignment of the sights is the most important thing. The mistake is to flick betweeen sights and target as the shape of the lens in the eye changes each time you do that, and in older people there is a time lag while it adapts.
    GL with the pistol shooting.

That's all very well if you can see the target unaided. Some of us are very short-sighted

The pistol we were using most was a Walther CP88 6", which doesn't have any attachment points for a red dot or scope (nor do the others which are single shot classics), but I will look at buying a new pistol if that is the best option (sounds like a good excuse to me )

I will look at the shooting spectacles too though, and see how the prices compare - I don't want to give the kids even more of an advantage, they did well enough as it was!

I was a competitive pistol shooter for many years, though with full and small bore, I've never competed with air pistol. Out to 25 yards and beyond it was always a case of getting your position and hold right for a natural align of foresight on target and then let the target blur and concentrate on alignment of fore and rear sight as you went through the rest of the drill (breathing, grip, trigger pressure, etc) to fire the shot, but you do have to get a reasonable alignment of foresight on target first other wise you could be pointing anywhere! The problem with my focus atm is that the first alignment really isn't good enough for me, so I end up with a decent group but well off centre. Hmmm, I did Ok with cans which were easy to make out against the back ground, even though blurred, maybe I need to use a target with harsher centre/outer contrast for the precision stuff. I still think I'm going to need something in addition to that though ...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really do appreciate it.
    Last edited by DavidC; 13-06-2012 at 09:01 PM.

David ,
    You can get a sight rail for the cp88 which attaches to the frame. If you have the owners handbook for the pistol it shows it in there.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    Hi all.

I want to ask for advice. I'm getting older and my eyesight is no longer so good. My long sight is fine but I wear glasses for reading. I've mainly been shooting a rifle for the past few years and with a scope it isn't a problem, but recently our 17 year old granddaughter and her boyfriend came to visit and asked if while with us they could do some shooting with the air pistols on my indoor range. I was happy for them to do that under my supervision, and to join them, but I found a problem. With the right set of glasses I can focus on the pistol foresight and rear sight no problem. Without the glasses I can see the target clearly. The problem is aligning the foresight with the target; with glasses I can see the foresight but not the target, without I can see the target but not the foresight. I can do well enough on fun targets like empty drink cans but a decent score on a card target just isn't on. Are lasers or red dot scopes accurate enough for target shooting at 6 - 10 yards or is my time for precision pistol shooting now over?

Thanks in advance for any help

ATB

David
    Varifocal glasses sorted my sighting problems. I now can see all distances clearly.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Varifocal glasses sorted my sighting problems. I now can see all distances clearly.
    Do you find you have to tilt your head back to an awkward angle in order to see the front sight through the near lens part?
    I do and find it leads to an awkward stance.
    I'm thinking of getting some varifocals where the close area occupies most of the lens, so that I can look at the sight through the centre part of the lens. I suppose bifocals would do much the same and might be cheaper.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    David ,
    You can get a sight rail for the cp88 which attaches to the frame. If you have the owners handbook for the pistol it shows it in there.

Pete.
    I see that now, Pete, thank you. I've looked online for suitable rails and sights. The one I saw at has the rail fitting in place of the rear sight, which is fine. Now I need to actually see a red dot and scope or two to find which one will best suit my needs. I have to say, the prices are better than I expected, even for what seems to be the better makes. It looks as if I could get a rail and a decent sight and mounts for under £60.

Take up carpet bowls

Quote Originally Posted by Big Seth View Post
    Take up carpet bowls
    A bit unsporting to have a target that big, or are you thinking of moving targets?
    Whatever doesn't kill you, is going to leave a scar... A Crip With A Gun!
    S400F Superlite Carbine - XL Tactical - 280k - 2250b - Striker 1000X - IZH MP-61 - Webley Bert - 2240 - C40 - El Gamo Centre - Walther CP88 - Sig Sauer GSR - Makarov MP-654

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    I see that now, Pete, thank you. I've looked online for suitable rails and sights. The one I saw at has the rail fitting in place of the rear sight, which is fine. Now I need to actually see a red dot and scope or two to find which one will best suit my needs. I have to say, the prices are better than I expected, even for what seems to be the better makes. It looks as if I could get a rail and a decent sight and mounts for under £60.
    I'd really recommend against getting one of those rails that fits into the rear dovetail. They are an absolute nightmare.
    I had one on my umarex 1911 but I had to ditch it and return to the opens.
    Because the rail is only attached at one end, any knock or pressure will move it out of alignment - you will be constantly chasing zero.

A better, but more expensive and permanent solution is to get a rail that screws into the frame.
    Good deals with these members

Hi

My long sight is OK but in anything other than good light, I can't see the foresight crisply - My reading glasses' prescriptions have got stronger in the last 10 years since I started using them, but the very first pair I had (ie the weakest prescription) is perfect for seeing the sights and having an acceptable view of the target

ATB

Jon