Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help requested - shooting pistols after eyesight deteriorates

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I'm in this situation at the moment and have determined that glasses with only just enough magnification to allow focus on the foresight will solve my problem.
    The rear sight will be slightly out of focus, so will the target, but since this is how the target picture is supposed to be it's not an issue ;-)

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Hi Jon, yes, I know what you mean. I use +2.5 for reading +3 for close work but I'm using an old pair of +1 for shooting, still can't get the foresight on target accurately though. It isn't the sight adjustment, the group is OK but can be anywhere around the target from one target to the next after I have changed them so I know, apart from the fact that I can't get the focus to put the foresight properly on the bull, that it is my eyes that are the problem.

Hi eyebull, I did wonder about the sight rail with one fixed point but reviews seem to vary. I thought a single additional screw at the front of the rail, tapped into the frame, might do the job if I find it is shifting, but I could go straight for a fixed rail anyway I suppose. Or, for just over £100 I could get a new pistol with a sight aleady mounted, let the kids use the CP88 with open sights while
    I use one with an optic. What do you mean, 'that's cheating'?
    Last edited by DavidC; 15-06-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: responded to wrong name

Quote Originally Posted by jassi View Post
    Do you find you have to tilt your head back to an awkward angle in order to see the front sight through the near lens part?
    I do and find it leads to an awkward stance.
    I'm thinking of getting some varifocals where the close area occupies most of the lens, so that I can look at the sight through the centre part of the lens. I suppose bifocals would do much the same and might be cheaper.

Ian
    I don't have a problem with tilting head backwards. I look at it as an advantage in my case, because I got into a bad habit of dropping my head with bifocals. Varifocals give me clarity at all distances whereas with bifocals I had poor intermediate vision. The varifocals keep the head up, which I think is more correct and comfortable. One thing to think about with bifocals, is that if I used the lower reading part for sighting, I could hardly see the target at all.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Hi

My long sight is OK but in anything other than good light, I can't see the foresight crisply - My reading glasses' prescriptions have got stronger in the last 10 years since I started using them, but the very first pair I had (ie the weakest prescription) is perfect for seeing the sights and having an acceptable view of the target

ATB

Jon
    This is exactly the same for me! a good job that I dont throw old stuff away when I get new!

BigEars Guest
    Since I got my latest pair of glasses my shooting has improved again. There's enough correction to see the front sight clearly, that's all you need!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    You could give something like this a go - http://www.eyepalusa.com/
    Reducing aperture will increase the field of focus substantially,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

insight relationship

Silvershooter has it about right, I was taught a long time ago about the 'Insight Relationship between the Rearsight, Foresight and Target', the normal eye cannot see all of these ranges clearly unless using a scope, which seems to answer here as you can adjust the sighting element to be in focus with the ranges you require.

Ken