Thread: Direct comparison cp88 cp99

Direct comparison cp88 cp99

Hi there,
    Am looking to get CO2 pistol, and like the look of the cp88/99 from walther, seem to have good reviews for the sort of fun plinking I intend.

Was just wondering what the differences are between the two and if one is favored over the other.
    See a few up for sale but never for long enough for me to get to them ;(

Looking forward to some helpful input.
    Many thanks Paul
    AA S400 .177Leapers 4x16x56 swat accushot, HW97KT .177 hawke Varmit sf 2.5x10x44 , HW77K .22 V mached,mountmaster 4x12x50 50IR AO
    Mk 6 Airsporter .22 3x9 x40 AO, Walther Umarex CP99 .177

Quote Originally Posted by paul robbins View Post
    Hi there,
    Am looking to get CO2 pistol, and like the look of the cp88/99 from walther, seem to have good reviews for the sort of fun plinking I intend.

Was just wondering what the differences are between the two and if one is favored over the other.
    See a few up for sale but never for long enough for me to get to them ;(

Looking forward to some helpful input.
    Many thanks Paul
    CP88 is all metal,CP99 is plastic frame with metal top.
    CP99 is double action only,CP88 can be double or single action.
    I prefer the CP88 although the CP99 seems to be more common with more accessories available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by smallman28 View Post
    CP99 is double action only,CP88 can be double or single action.
    Nope, CP99 can also be cocked by pulling the back part of the slide back for more deliberate shooting. You may be thinking of the CP99 Compact- a whole different pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Nope, CP99 can also be cocked by pulling the back part of the slide back for more deliberate shooting. You may be thinking of the CP99 Compact- a whole different pistol.
    Went by this,thats all

http://www.umarex.com/uxc.php?load=view&item=412.00.00

timmaaah is offline I'm starting to like my arse!
    So how can you say that you 'prefer' the '88 if you have never shot/used a '99

Ahh. They say the same for the CP88 on there too. Thres a good explanation of what SA and DA mean here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(firearms) I was sort of second-guessing what I thought you might mean by double action. No offence.

I have both, and like both TBH. The 88 can be fitted with adjustable sights and wood grips...if can find them- both a bit tricky to get now. The 88 side-loads CO2, while the 99 holds it in a pop out "magazine". The 99 is lighter in weight and has a shorter barrel (3.3" as opposed to 4" in the 88) but shooting over 6yds it doesn't make a jot of difference. Both use the Umarex 8 shot mag and fire pellets. The 99 has a rail, but IMHO its pointless lobbing a laser on one. 88s are more popular, but that doesn't mean its better. The plastic used in making the 99 isn't cheapo brittle stuff, and many real pistols (and other firearms) use the same kind of stuff nowadays anyway. A lot of people say the 99's trigger is heavy, but I find mine just fine- although the 88's is smoother to a degree. To put a spanner in the works, the Colt 1911 is a superb pistol as well-worth a thought!

Thank you, for that, more informative comparison.
    And why is it never a straight choice between A & B
    cheers paul
    AA S400 .177Leapers 4x16x56 swat accushot, HW97KT .177 hawke Varmit sf 2.5x10x44 , HW77K .22 V mached,mountmaster 4x12x50 50IR AO
    Mk 6 Airsporter .22 3x9 x40 AO, Walther Umarex CP99 .177

I had a CP99 it is a lovely pistol but as has been said what killed it for me was the trigger was much to hard to pull for me I did have a go at trying to take the back part of the slide off to see if I could make it work smoother but gave up as I could not remove it so I sold the gun I have not had a CP88 but they do have the outside hammer to it is much simpler to cock it.

Quote Originally Posted by paul robbins View Post
    Thank you, for that, more informative comparison.
    And why is it never a straight choice between A & B
    cheers paul
    "C" always gets in the way If you can, try them out at a gunshop, for weight and feel- or even better at a meet or club if someone has them there. Theres plenty of stuff on the UBC forum too.