Thread: Another HW thread! 45 Vs 75 lifespan/maintenance>

Another HW thread! 45 Vs 75 lifespan/maintenance>

It's hard to not be bitten by the bug for these pistols when reading these boards, so I have a question or three.
    What would be the expected lifespan of the powerplants before maintenance beyond oiling would be needed?
    I've seen a review of the 45 where the spring and seal were replaced at 7500 pellets due to a temperature issue (?)
    The reviewer did say that the spring was still usable so was retained as a spare.
    What about the 75? What do these single stroke pneumatics need and how reliable is the system?

Can both be resealed at home?

-SP

#2:
    I do like the 'hammer' firing action on the HW75, whats it like to shoot?

The 75 looks really easy to spanner:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&...9,r:3,s:0,i:81

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    it's a real shame there isn't a grip with a palm shelf for the HW75, everything else about it is an absolute class act!
    I think 75 and 45 will both last a very long time with normal maintenance,
    - Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I have a 19 year old one, still original as far as I know. Had some power issues a strip, de-burring, clean and polishing of the PTFE seal so it fitted better (PTFE deforms and it be come tight after a while) and lubed. Other than that nothing more maintenance was needed so far. My only issue is that the colour has slighly faded over time.
    Set Bazookoids to kill stuff and mount. We're going in!

I had a 75. Nice to look at and accurate, but I got tired of the effort needed to cock it.

Single stroke pneumatics become tiresome after a while.

The 45 is much easier to cock.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I had a 75. Nice to look at and accurate, but I got tired of the effort needed to cock it.

I think it's the hammer firing system that attracts me to the HW75. I never liked the hammer being a release catch on the HW45.

-SP

Quote Originally Posted by instantcat View Post
    I have a 19 year old one, still original as far as I know. Had some power issues a strip, de-burring, clean and polishing of the PTFE seal so it fitted better (PTFE deforms and it be come tight after a while) and lubed. Other than that nothing more maintenance was needed so far. My only issue is that the colour has slighly faded over time.
    Thats pretty impressive reliability!

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    it's a real shame there isn't a grip with a palm shelf for the HW75, everything else about it is an absolute class act!
    I think 75 and 45 will both last a very long time with normal maintenance,
    - Nick
    I'm planning on going to a local dealer and testing them both together. I've never fired the HW75, not sure if I'd like that recoil-free feeling
    I like the 'genuine' hammer mechanism on the 75, I like the grips on the 75 and the black star, but I don't like the cut down frames. Don't like the hammer catch on the 45s, Hmmmm dunno which way to go.

I have an HW75, I purchased it brand new from JSR in, at a guess 1993 or 1994. It has never been stripped. Maintenance has been no more than the odd drop of oil in the air inlet hole, and a wipe down of the external surfaces. Oh and I think I've cleaned the barrel three times. It still shoots fantastically well with no leaks. It is as accurate as my Steyr LP10.

It still looks virtually new as well: http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...ols/HW75_L.jpg
    The only wear or discolouration is the black finish on the hammer
    Last edited by Adam77K; 20-06-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Yeah. The irony is that SSP's require more effort to cock than springers, yet deliver less power.

Seems backwards, somehow, doesn't it?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone