Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.56 NATO Brass

Just remember guys that 5.56 RG cases have a smaller internal capacity than .223 due to the thicker walls of the brass. So dont load them this the same powder ammounts listed in your reloading manual or you will be way over pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Just remember guys that 5.56 RG cases have a smaller internal capacity than .223 due to the thicker walls of the brass. So dont load them this the same powder ammounts listed in your reloading manual or you will be way over pressure.
    Very good point. I hadn't thought of that, but I don't load 223. I'll mention it to whoever buys it from me.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Marcus.
    I wish Political Correctness had a face, so I could punch it......hard.

No problem mate. Its good brass. Must have shot thousands of rounds of it over the years

Also another note of caution. If they were fired in a rifle with a "loose" 5.56 chamber, e.g. AR15 etc. then the case head may have expanded too much for a standard die to resize it to fit a tight .223 chamber on e.g. a precision bolt action rifle. Worth trying a sample first.

If so you might be able to salvage it by using a "tight base" die, if you have access to one.

I also find the thicker brass at the neck can give too much neck tension, compared with proper .223 brass. You might see this as vertical stringing.

You will need a suitable tool to remove the primer crimp. RG isn't too difficult, but I've found Federal brass to be hard work.

Just something to be aware of, and if you are going to re-use them in e.g. a 5.56 straight pull you probably won't experience any problems.

My wife runs them in her saiga .223 no issues. A friend reloaded some he got from a surpluss auction and they wouldnt chamber in his bolt action and he had full legnth sized them. Although 5.56 and .223 share the same over all legnth and other dimantions its not SAMMI spec for a .223 but will function. Also if you are reloading in 5.56 and you dont have that listed on your FAC (eg only .223) technically you cant be in possetion of them as you do not have permission to have that calibre. Its daft I know but most forces require a seperate alloted ammo allowance for NATO calibres eg 5.56/.223 or 7.62/.308

Darlington. The Land of the Prince Bishops Durham

5.56 Brass

Durham tend to combine the 2 & simply state 0.223/5.56 & 0.308Win/7.62x51.
    This is for both the arms & the ammo.

Obviously it will require full length resizing & trimming for a particular rifle & the crimp will have to be removed.
    It is also well known that RG brass has thick walls. This should be taken into account when reloading.
    None of which detracts from the fact that it is good, once fired, brass at a sensible price.

For info the brass on offer has been once fired in a 0.223 rifle which does NOT have a "loose" 5.56 chamber.

Al.
    Last edited by AlBur; 26-06-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: additional info
    AlBur
    Always Remember "Utopia Does NOT Exist"