Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Geco Pellet Concern

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Thanks Duncs, Bob, and Wonky
    Any smoke is a concern and at last some sanity from the experienced contibutors. Wonky, the only other gun displaying it is a 601 but it was bought s/h so we did suspect it may have been oiled. The LG 300 was a concern as it was previously my wifes rifle, was 18 months old, has never been oiled, fed only R10's, and has never exibited the symptom, when she got her new LG400 special Junior it became a club gun and two weeks later and its doing it.
    Thanks Wonky, your logic makes a lot of sense, but I think we will still insist that club guns are fed R10's just in case!
    Good shooting
    Robin
    I did give you a "sane" answer based on my experience in post #4

You may thank me later.. and none taken btw...
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I don't understand using pellets straight from the tin.

Its like Gordon Ramsay not bothering to wash his carrots

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Rickenbacker
    Pellets are not carrots, if you have to wash them, best to not use them, and it is an uneccessary hastle. This issue came up for us, as beginers who do not shoot to a high level go for the cheapest, no problem, saves them a couple of pounds, but then we became aware that it was possibly producing a symptom which was a cause for concern with our club guns so we insist now on higher quality pellets in them. Would the cheap pellets be ok if cleaned? Frankly its an un necessary hastle and we know they are still not going to be as accurate or consistant as the better ones, how much effort do you go to to turn the sows ear into a silk purse? If any of our members who want a cheap pellet and uses them in their own gun, they are welcome to as do several of our pistol shooters, I raised this as I have seen on this forum before that people use Geco, and thought that as we had discovered this it would be helpfull to post it.

As I discovered this afternoon it also takes a lot more cleaning to get the barrels clean after using cheap pellets, with good quality pellets a couple or three felts and they come out clean. Where as I had to use a good few goes with a tight pull through to get the bore to a stage where a couple of felts would come out clean.

I'm aware that most top class international level shooters ( we have several in our club and I know many more) use little other than standard pellets straight from the tin, there are the odd ones who use selected ones in trays, mostly those that use the Chinese match pellets as that is how they are supplied.
    Most do batch testing to get the best batch of a particular make that matches their gun best though, but still use tins and use them straight from the tin. I was fortunate enough to go to the World Cup at London (despite the efforts to keep it non spectator!) Most shooters were using straight tins, some had trays but then I did also watch some tipping tin pellets onto trays, more for ease of handling than anything else. Our top rifle shooter can shoot possibles at 10 mts, and that is with RWS R10's not batch tested and straight from the tin as bought.
    Mark, we have just bought a new batch of R10's, in both rifle and pistol, and in 4.50 and 4.49's and those came in at £6 a tin which is what we sell them at , although the club took the cost of the postage. I'll confirm where we get them from and e mail you.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Quote Originally Posted by markwarren View Post
    Hi Robin,

Where do you get the R10s for £6.00 a tin ??

All the best

Mark
    Try Blackpool Air Rifles (sleeves of 10) http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showprodu...SubCat=Pellets
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.

BicTown285

Apart from "what has Geco pellets got to do with a thread about LP2" Did any one bother to enquire at Manufacturers. ie Geco.

Quote Originally Posted by BicTown285 View Post
    Apart from "what has Geco pellets got to do with a thread about LP2" Did any one bother to enquire at Manufacturers. ie Geco.
    This thead is titled "Geco Pellet Concern".

Therefore why on earth should it have anything to do with an LP2 ?

So don't come in here with your three posts and a snippy attitude

What's dieseling?

Quote Originally Posted by McTrucky View Post
    What's dieseling?
    It is when lubes from the gun or ammo actually ignites and burns during the firing process

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Dont know if this is relevant but my fwb 600 gives a puff of smoke [ or something similar ] from the barrel when fired and i have also noticed quite a few other rifles in our bell target league doing the same thing.Nobody uses geco's.I have also watched the video about the walton lions club on you tube and theres a fwb 600 on there thats doing the same thing
    The pellets being used by the 600 where Superdome.
    We have noticed a tend for some people to use pellet lube and that will have the same effect.
    Some cheap pellets are coated in crap and will smoke caused by warming and friction as the go down the barrell.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I use Gecko for general practice at 10m and 20 Yards, grouping is good with the occasional flyer, but that could be me ;-)
    Have you washed a batch then put unwashed & washed over a chrono in alternate strings to see if there is any difference?
    Given that Gecko are about the cheapest possible decent flat nosed pellet perhaps we should accept them for what they are - a fine pellet for the price and not expensive enough to have a flap about?

Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

In my experience, Gecos do not group as consistantly, so its R10s all the way. Gecos are SO bad in my opinion that I would rather put Gamo Match Diablos down my gun than them, not lease the fact the group better, (once you take out the tiny pellets you occasionally get ). In all seriousness, I have the same problem in the AA MPR and the Twinmaster Top I use, smoke from Gecos and no from R10s. However, my friend on the GBJS squad shoots with Gecos, and has been for 6-7 years with no problems. In his AA MPR they group better (bizzare I know). At the end of the day, it's the owners choice, and if the owner wants only R10s to go down the barrel, then people can buy there own gun to shoot Gecos down. But thats is just my opinion .

geco pellets

Dieselling with match pcp,pcp as i. understand dont generate enough heat to diesel .The fact should be easy to prove, chrono the geco pels if they are dieselling you will notice the difference

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Dieseling is caused by pressure, as in a Diesel engine, it can happen in any air gun, spring, PCP, or SSP. It is dependent on an ignitable constuant being present, oil or grease which comressed as happens when an air gun is discharged will then ignite.
    I'm not interested in proving one way or the other, smoke is a good indication of it happening, I only raised this initialy to warn serious target shooters ( as this after all the target and competition forum) of the risk of using cheap pellets (now wish I had'nt bothered!), I only use top standard pellets such as R10's, if any one wishes to use cheap ones , then good luck to them.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    I only raised this initialy to warn serious target shooters
    I don't know any serious target shooters that don't use a Match Kugeln of some stripe.
    But surely though the positioning of holes in the target should dictate the pellet you use rather than whether they produce smoke or (more likely) vapour on firing?
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I don't know any serious target shooters that don't use a Match Kugeln of some stripe.
    But surely though the positioning of holes in the target should dictate the pellet you use rather than whether they produce smoke or (more likely) vapour on firing?
    I think the original reason for this thread was to warn others that there could possibly be some risk of damage to expensive match rifles when smoke was seen coming from this clubs own match rifles (for the first time ever) when some beginners used a particular type of pellet in them - but not when using any other types.

This concern may or may not prove to be justified if or when the true cause is found - but it was good that it was identified so others woud be aware of their findings and then be able to form their own judgement about whether or not it concerned them.

As seems most likely from the thread and our own observations that most competition shooters that own these expensive match rifles would probably choose a better qaulity pellet in any case ( such as an R10), but if they should be tempted to lend their pride and joy ( possibly the result of years of saving to pay for it) they may like to see what pellets are being put in it and decide if they are happy with this or not.

This is exactly the case with the club concerned. They are fortunate to own some really nice match rifles and decided that they would not allow GECO pellets to be used in them again.

We all have a choice to do as we please as far as what pellets we choose to use in whatever rifle or pistol we shoot - but it is nice to have the good service of the BBS to help us make that choice when responsible members offer to share their findings ( and conclusions) with us in such a helpful way.

Thanks for making the effort Robin - very much appreciated.
    Last edited by zooma; 28-08-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.