Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else using TR140 ?

Anyone else using TR140 ?

Got a bit fed up of paying Varget prices, even after waiting until I have a chance to visit the cheaper dealers that are normally at the other side of the country to me, so when in HPS last week I picked up a kilo of TR140 to try (£55).

I struggled to find load data in 22-250, but after spending some time looking at what data there was for other cartridges I came up with a plan.

From 30 grains to 32 grains (I was being conservative) in .5 imcrements I loaded up 2 of each, topped with Sierra Matchking Boat-tails in 52(53?)gr and popped over to the range last night to try them before the 25m and black-powder guys kicked me off.

First impression was that everything felt a lot smoother than Varget-loaded rounds, less muzzle blast and less recoil (even fitted with brake). The result was a lower POI than my usual load with A-max, but 31gr gave me under 1 MOA without any real effort and looks like something to pursue with a few tweaks.

Bonus is that each reload costs me 31p instead of 39.5p.

Does anyone else have experience of this powder ?

I understood that TR140 is the same as Vit140 and you use the same loading data as well.

Bob

Bob, that's what I heard initially too, making me buy some. But the one page of data I did find (for .308) showed differences. It's close, and would give you a good starting point, but I wouldn't do a straight swap without working a load up again.

Is there not a bit on the label telling you where to email to get load data?

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

UKV

There is a bit of info on ukv site about vit factory closing down and some data on this new powder.
    Hope this helps
    dave
    p.s it's in the general discussion section
    Last edited by plonker; 22-06-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Cz 452 22lr,17hmr,rem 204r,tikka 223,styer 308,beretta 626e

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    There is a bit of info on ukv site about vit factory closing down and some data on this new powder.
    Hope this helps
    dave
    Vit Factory is being sold, no sign of shutting down. Makes about £15 million a year from memory. But declining military sales means the owners want to get rid of it.

Who makes TR powders?

I think they are closing down the part of the factory that dealt with military powder not the whole factory.
    Chech out ukv as im sure the makers name is on there.
    dave
    Cz 452 22lr,17hmr,rem 204r,tikka 223,styer 308,beretta 626e

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post

Who makes TR powders?
    The Importer is Nigel Cole-Hawkins of the North London RC, rumour has it that nitrochemie (Reloader powders) make it, apparently its for sale in the shop at Bisley. I'm tempted to give a tub a try as I'm down that way later in the month.

HTH Pete
    Do nothing, achieve nothing

Just read that HPS at Bisley sell it, but not on their website just Vit powders. I'll pop in when I'm next there.

Looks like there is nothing to lose by trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    Just read that HPS at Bisley sell it, but not on their website just Vit powders. I'll pop in when I'm next there.

Looks like there is nothing to lose by trying it.
    they do £55 a kilo
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    I was told that TR140, and T140 (Dolphin are selling T140, although I may have missed the R) was N140 bulk imported and re packaged.

I was told to use the N140 data. Mik Mak was selling it at £55 a pop or 2 for £100.

We now have it at one of our local places.

If it stays at that price, and is genuinely N140 by another name, it is a good buy as N140 is quite a good universal powde, handles well and does not seem to leave my rifles looking like the barrel needs ploughing. It used to be the F/TR fave until it got difficult to get for a while, and then many went over to N540.

Oddly I am looking at going to a Hodgdon powder for my longer range loads....typical!!
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

It is not N140, but it is a very similar powder made by a Swiss firm. Some reports that it is cleaner, and gives lower ES.

Advice is to use N140 start loads and work up carefully. It seems to be slightly faster.

Brian Fox was selling it at the Phoenix for £50 per kilo, I bought a couple, but have not yet tried it. I'm hoping it will work well in .223, .303 and .308.

The importer also sells Elcho 17, which is exactly the same as Reloder 17, supplied by the same Swiss factory. Same price, i.e. a bargain.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    It is not N140, but it is a very similar powder made by a Swiss firm. Some reports that it is cleaner, and gives lower ES.

Advice is to use N140 start loads and work up carefully. It seems to be slightly faster.

Brian Fox was selling it at the Phoenix for £50 per kilo, I bought a couple, but have not yet tried it. I'm hoping it will work well in .223, .303 and .308.

The importer also sells Elcho 17, which is exactly the same as Reloder 17, supplied by the same Swiss factory. Same price, i.e. a bargain.
    That's interesting...bit naughty calling it TR14o then

It seems to be getting about a bit.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Is there not a bit on the label telling you where to email to get load data?
    You're very observant Email sent, reply awaited ... it'll be interesting to see what load they recommend.

UPDATE.

Reply rec'd back yesterday, confirmed my load and gave me a few pointers for loads in another rifle using Elcho17, which is identical to Reloder17, and TR140 with <160gr projectiles.

Email also said that they are adding another 6 powders to the range this year, the price difference makes them worth investigating/